A personalised and friendly organisation based in rural East Sussex, we offer loads of volunteer and paid placements, many of which we ourselves have set up and nurtured over time. Our projects cover a great range of options, but we are particularly strong in animal welfare, ski resort jobs, sports coaching and teaching & childcare.
We are a passionate group of people, with two core values:
- That the projects we work with genuinely want and need our volunteers and workers
- We want our clients to have an amazing trip and to return with a long-term affection for the country they visit, feeling they have done something worthwhile and important.
What Oyster Worldwide can offer you:
- A choice of placements for as little as two weeks or as long as six months
- Longer term placements offer a great group of people to travel with various set departure dates each year
- Shorter term placements offer real flexibility and choice- to fit in with your annual leave or holidays
- The chance to work in teaching & childcare, sports coaching or animal welfare in places where help is really needed
- A friendly, dedicated staff with over 10 years’ experience of sending people on hand-picked placements
- Help and support in both the run up to and throughout your trip
- ATOL protection, combined with the knowledge that Oyster Worldwide as a member of the Year Out Group meets the highest industry standards
We pride ourselves on both the way that we work with our overseas projects and the support we provide to our participants. We like to think this makes us a bit different from other gap and responsible travel companies and would love to give you first hand experience of this.
Roger Salwey, Founder and Director
Roger first got involved in 1994 as operations director of a leading school expedition and gap year company. In 1999 he set up on his own, focusing purely on gap year projects, career breaks and responsible travel, and has since placed over 1000 participants (including our own Jon and Anne!). You can contact Roger directly on +44 (0) 1892 771971 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jon Arnold, Operations Manager
After spending five months in Tanzania in 2004 (we still operate the project) Jon joined Oyster’s staff as a graduate in 2007. As well as managing a number of Oyster’s popular volunteer and paid work projects (Nepal, Tanzania and Canada), Jon is able to use his experience to develop and expand projects in different destinations with participants’ needs in mind. You can contact Jon directly on +44 (0) 1892 771972 or by email: email@example.com.
Anne Smellie, Destination Manager
Anne joined Oyster as a Destination Manager in November 2010 having completed an 18 month gap year as a graduate. As part of her gap year Anne spent three months volunteering on our Romania Bear Sanctuary project and set up our exciting turtle project in Costa Rica . Anne is the Oyster Animal Welfare expert and you can contact Anne directly on +44 (0) 1892 771975 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Marguerite Weatherseed, Office Manager
Call Oyster and there’s a good chance that you’ll get Marguerite. She works part-time for us in the UK office and keeps on top of the day-to-day admin, from brochures to accounts. She also assists Jon and Anne with preparing people for their departure. You can contact Marguerite directly on +44 (0) 1892 771974 or by email: email@example.com
You don’t get anywhere without reliable ground staff. They are the overseas face of the company, acting as our eyes, ears and hearts and providing a real lifeline for participants. We’re really proud of ours: most of them have been with us since the beginning of each project and their warmth, humour and experience is frequently cited by participants as the most crucial element in adjusting to life abroad.