Chile – long, thin and utterly beautiful! Stretching over 4300km, its landscapes vary from desert land to fertile valleys, from volcanoes to glaciers, from ancient forests to dramatic fjords. Despite this dramatic and stunning terrain, the country remains relatively undeveloped. This is the perfect destination for a gap year or career break, as you will uncover wonders in a long-term stay here that most travellers could only dream of.
Projects in Chile
Teach in Patagonia and learn Spanish
Chile’s unique shape means it stretches from the tropics to the Arctic Circle and is home to incredible coastal and mountain scenery. Its capital, Santiago, has been described as Europe’s finest capital with fine Spanish architecture with a striking backdrop of the Andes and a year round warm climate. The people of Chile are very hospitable, fun loving with great taste in food and wine.
Head south and you’ll find the dramatic lakes and mountains of Patagonia – perfect for the adventurer. Here you can really enjoy the culture of Latin America whilst embracing Spanish-speaking Chile. Oyster’s project in Patagonia lies about two thirds of the way down Santiago. Patagonia is a beautifully unspoilt mountainous region that covers Argentina and Chile.
Despite its location at the south of South America, you can reach Chile’s capital city by direct flight to Santiago from Europe and North America. Chile is one of Oyster’s longest running and most successful destinations. Most volunteers say that it is the full immersion in Spanish that draws them to the programme and once they are there it is the charm of the host families and the beauty of the Patagonian landscape that they talk about.
- Astonishing Patagonian scenery - glaciers, mountains and coast.
- A great place to learn Spanish – little English is spoken.
- A tradition of hospitality and full enjoyment of life.
- Fantastic inexpensive Chilean wine.
Why Choose Oyster?
- We created our Chilean programme in 2003 and is one of our classics.
- Oyster’s staff in Patagonia are British and have lived in the area for many years.
- Spanish lessons are included in the programme, helping you to hit the ground running.