Known to be one of the most diverse countries in Southern Africa, this country is a haven for animal lovers, wildlife enthusiasts and those who are generally passionate about stunning landscapes. Its rugged coastlines and plethora of reserves, sanctuaries and friendly people mean that a trip to South Africa is a must for all those keen to travel and volunteer.
As many participants love to stay for longer and discover even more, we offer a £50 discount for combining two projects in South Africa.
Projects in South Africa
Veterinary internship in South Africa
Volunteer with monkeys and baboons in South Africa
Game Ranger course in South Africa
Volunteer with elephants in South Africa
Volunteer with lions in South Africa
Shark conservation volunteering in South Africa
Wildlife conservation experience with the Big 5
Teaching and childcare in South Africa
Volunteer sports coaching in South Africa
Play, teach, save and conserve in South Africa
South Africa has to be one of the most diverse countries on earth. Home to the Big 5 and many other incredible creatures, from penguins to baboons, this is a great destination for wildlife and nature lovers. Its stunning coastline, soaring mountains and arid desert provide a fascinating landscape to explore and enjoy. Renowned for its delicious wines, South Africa is also famous for its fine food and lively culture.
Sports lovers will feel instantly at home here. The Rainbow Nation boasts the mighty Springboks, hosted the 2010 football World Cup and is a leading side in international cricket. With sport constantly in the spotlight, it’s the perfect place for keen sportsmen and women to pass on their skills and inspire children in some of the country’s poorest townships.
There is also a real need for community development in this part of the world. Whilst many areas are thriving economically, many townships are struggling to keep up with the rest of the country. English language skills are greatly sought after by employers. You can help by teaching English and other subjects in township schools.
Whether on a gap year, career break or holiday with a difference, South Africa is a fantastic destination. Its friendly feel, ease of travel and the common English language make it a popular place for the beginner traveller, as well as more experienced explorers wanting to get further off the beaten track.
- Need we say more – the Big 5 are a huge draw to this amazing country!
- Beautiful coastlines, stunning wilderness, rolling mountains, arid deserts and buzzing cities- South Africa provides a wide variety for all tastes
- Cape Town and the Garden Route are some of the most popular stretches of African coastline – and for very good reason
- For those seeking adventure, the world’s highest bungee jump offers plenty of thrills, as does diving with great white sharks.
Why Choose Oyster?
- We have been sending volunteers to South Africa since 2009 on hand-picked and personally visited projects
- Destination Manager Anne has turned her hand to all projects in the country – and secretly wishes she could volunteer there full time!
- All animal welfare projects and childcare projects have been checked to the highest standards, so you can be confident that your volunteering is both necessary and worthwhile