Hit the ground running Down Under
If you want to experience working and travelling abroad but don’t want to make the first step on your own then this placement is perfect for you. You will join an instant group of friends and be shown around the city, getting all the insider local knowledge that you’ll need. You’ll be helped to sort out your tax file number, get your Medicare cover, open a bank account and get an Australian SIM card and phone card. You will also do an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) course which is vital if you want to work in a bar or licensed restaurant or café. You'll be shown the local hotspots, get insider knowledge on the best of what Sydney has to offer and get help finding you a job and an apartment with a whole day dedicated to property viewing.
It's not all hard work either. For the first two weeks you will be staying in a hostel the centre of Sydney, and while looking for jobs you'll enjoy many exciting activites including a three day beach escape with sandboarding, a dolphin watching cruise and koala spotting, coastal tours, city tours, a fantastic private cruise around the harbour, a cocktail course and much much more.
See the Comprehensive Sydney Itinerary for more information.
Keen to get your travel plans sorted too? Going to Australia isn't just about the jobs. Our partners can get you set up with a great 4 week add-on to your trip, which involves 2 weeks of travelling the awesome East Coast. Stop off at the surfer's paradise of Byron Bay, Fraser Island (the world's largest sand island!), the Whitsundays and much more! Once this amazing fortnight comes to an end, you can either spend a week on a ranch in the Outback (with an Outback job to boot!), complete a diving or surfing course or continue your travels deep into the Outback. This add-on is arranged before your departure, but you can make the most of it at any point that you are Down Under. For more information about the 4 week-add on, have a look at our working and travelling Australia combo.
What will I be doing in Sydney?
The work available to you in Sydney is plentiful, with the majority of the jobs in retail, bars, restaurants, cafés or offices. The pay is pretty good, with wages around $15 per hour if you have no experience, up to around $25 per hour for those with relevant skills.
Working in a city abroad definitely helps your CV and gives you excellent preparation for going away to university or starting a future job. And what better city to work in than Sydney? You will be working with Australians and most likely other backpackers too, so you’ll instantly be making friends in the workplace and adding to your social life. You can work for each employer for a maximum of 6 months. By that time you will have the skills and know-how to find yourself another job if you want it, with a year long subscription to a first-rate online recruitment agency.
What about after Sydney?
You can stay in Sydney for up to one year on your working holiday visa. Most people who choose to go to Oz on this visa will at least spend some time travelling the country. Once you have earned some money in Sydney, this is the perfect time to dust the backpack off and see what the rest of the country has to offer.
Before you leave for Australia, you can book a 4 week add-on to your time in Sydney. This add-on involves travel up the East Coast as part of a group, spending 2 weeks enjoying its backpacking highlights. Once that is completed, you can enjoy some farm training on a ranch, with access to a guaranteed farm job afterwards. If your working days have come to an end, you can enjoy a surf camp, a diving camp or a trip into the depths of the Outback.
It's a great idea to get this arranged before your departure, as you then know that your budgeting is done, and you will always have your travels to look forward to after the work is done. The 4 week add-on costs £2100, no matter which combination you choose to do!
For more information about the add-on, have a look at our travel and work in Australia page.
Throughout the run up to your trip you will receive help and support from the UK-based office. Once overseas, our team are on call to help out with settling in to life in Sydney- from organising socials to helping set up admin, from offering help on accommodation to showing you round the city- there will be someone there for you.
You'll spend your first two weeks in 'WakeUp' hostel in central Sydney. The hostel has great facilities, including a bar, tv lounge, clean and secure bedrooms and 24hr wifi. Expect to share an en-suite room with the rest of your group. During that time you will be helped to search for an apartment for the rest of your time in Sydney. However, you might like to continue staying in the hostel for a weekly discounted rate. Shared apartments in Sydney are around A$230 per week.
Cost and what is provided?
The 2 week programme costs £1300 (excl flights) and the support is ongoing for up to one year. The 4 week add-on costs an extra £2100 (total £3400)
What is Provided on the 2 week Sydney programme?
- Sorting out your medicare, tax file numbers, bank account, mobile phones or SIM cards and phone cards
- One-to-one informal phone interview and briefing in the UK
- Advice on obtaining a visa
- Advice on finding a competitive and suitable return flight to Sydney
- Comprehensive support and advice whilst in-country
- Airport transfer to your hostel
- 12 nights accommodation in Sydney
- Induction on arrival in Sydney
- Guided city tour
- Welcome dinner and drink
- Private cruise around Sydney Harbour
- 3 days and two nights just outside Sydney at a basecamp with kilometers of glorious sand beaches and rainforests
- Sand boarding, bush walk and dolphin cruise from the basecamp
- Surf day trip
- Blue Mountains day trip
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- A trip along the 'Eastern Beaches Coastal Walk' from Bondi to Coogee
- Night time tour of Sydney, with entrance into 4 bars with 4 drinks included
- 3 dinners, 2 lunches, 2 breakfasts - and several drinks and snacks along the way
- RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) course and a cocktail course
- 12 months of help and support with your CV/ resume
- 12 month subscription to leading job site
- Tax refund advice
- Free internet connection in Sydney
- Travellers discount card
What do I need?
- A passport valid for 6 months beyond the end of your return date
- You must be eligible for a Working Holiday visa (aged between 18-30 and a permitted nationality for the visa)
- Insurance - we can recommend you a policy
- An electronic copy of your CV
- National Insurance Card or NHS card
- Return flight to Sydney
- Your travel costs to the airport
- Cost of travel around the city
- Money for food throughout the trip
- Money for accommodation after your first 12 days
- Spending money
- Work clothes
- A valid CRB and medical check- about £50 for the two together
And one more thing...
Sydney is one of the top ten best cities in the world to live in, according to Mercer’s 2009 Quality of Living list!