Youth project - bring your interests and your personality
Join Oyster's lively gap year placements in Brazil, Latin America's largest and most extrovert nation. Music and dance are everywhere and there's a real passion for life (and football!). But Brazil's social problems and poverty are no secret either. Our voluntary placements involve working with kids in Sao Paulo. Some are street-children, many are neglected; all of them live tough lives. They need trusted adults, like you, to encourage them and help them stay out of trouble with fun projects, football, surf, IT, music and more.
Itís not easy; these are among our tougher placements and participants need loads of determination - but the rewards are fantastic and Brazil itself is unforgettably beautiful. You'll learn Portguese with a tutor (and the Oyster group).
What will I do in Brazil?
Since 2005 we have worked with an inspirational and well regarded Youth Centre project in Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo is the cosmopolitan business capital of Brazil, a rich, frenetic, inland city, and only a day's travel to Rio with its drop-dead gorgeous coastal cousin, laid-back, beach-focused and super-fit:
- The Children at Risk Centre is in one of the poorer areas on the southern edge of Sao Paulo. The Centre encourages young people to come off the streets and get involved in fun, constructive and sporting or educational activities. It serves as source of inspiration for local children living in poverty, offering dance, film, music and IT facilities. Itís a really exciting place to work. Read our blog for more information.
You will fly to Sao Paulo, to be met by staff from the Centre (see below), who will sort out your paperwork, show you your accommodation and introduce you to Jonathan, an Englishman who is Oyster's rep and founder of the Centre.
Jonathan, Oyster's representative in Sao Paulo is British but has lived in Brazil for all his adult life. His role is to be a helpful friend to you and steer you through difficulties of any kind. You will meet his Brazilian sons and many volunteers have been accommodated at his house close to the Centre. Jonathan will be able to give you advice on all aspects of living and travelling in Brazil and will keep Oyster in the UK updated on your health and welfare throughout your time in Brazil.
Volunteers, can wither stay at the Volunteer accommodation on site at the centre or stay with our rep Jonathan and his family a short walk away. It will be basic but comfortable and you should expect to share a room with another volunteer. You receive a good lunch at the centre when you are working and if you are staying with Jonathan you will eat with his family.
You will develop a good social life - not just with Oyster volunteers but with other local and international volunteers at your project and elsewhere. You certainly won't be short of things to do. Sao Paulo offers great nightlife, culture and restaurants.
Cost and what is provided
The cost of a placement in the Sao Paulo area for a 4 month placement is £2625, excluding flights (£3475 with flight from London).
This price includes food and accommodation during your placement and 20 Portuguese lessons to help you settle in. Each additional month costs £150.
What is Provided?
- Phone or face-to-face interview and initial briefing
- Pre-departure briefing (usually over the phone) covering medical, safety and placement advice
- Details of entry requirements
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst away
- Finding you a suitable voluntary placement and accommodation in Brazil
- Assistance and support from the Oyster representative
- Optional return ticket to Brazil with flexible return date (modest fee levied by airline for date changes).
- Being met on arrival in Brazil, orientation and safety briefings
- Food and accommodation for the duration of your placement (up to 6 months)
- European passport holders do not need a visa and are granted a 90 day stay on arrival. This is extendable at the discretion of the Federal Police for a further 90 days. You will require a full passport valid for 6 months beyond the end of your placement
- Free access to InterHealth's Travel Health Advice Service
- Free myTsafe secure document storage account - worth £39!
What do I need?
- Insurance - we can recommend you a suitable policy (approx £164 for 4 months)
- Cost of changing your return flight date if you need to (typically £50)
- Pocket money - some food, going out, telephone cards etc (we recommend £25pw depending on your taste in night life)
- Any home country travel costs (to the airport or if travelling for face-to-face interview)
- Organising and paying for independent travel, including return to airport
One more thing...
Crime statistics have got an awful lot better in Brazil, but itís difficult not to look like a tourist, so keep your wits about you and valuables such as watches, rings, cameras and wallets concealed where possible.