Coach football, netball, cricket, rugby and hockey to loving township kids- and even some tennis and swimming too!
South Africa is renowned in the sporting world for its strength in competitions and producing sporting heroes, making it the ultimate destination for sports coaching abroad. With particular passion for football, rugby and cricket, South Africa's sportsmen and women are growing from strength to strength.
Oyster arranges for you to become part of an inspiring project to take these sports to the townships, coaching the potential Makhaya Ntinis and Steven Pienaars of the future, helping them to develop a passion for sports and a motivation for life.
Taking sports to these communities is a fun and, most importantly. incredibly rewarding gift. Without sports as part of a wider curriculum, the township kids have very little opportunity for play and games. Your passion for sport will be reflected in these kids, and you will have a lot of fun coaching them and seeing how much what you're doing means to them.
All of this takes place in "The Friendly City" that is Port Elizabeth, which hosted many of the Football World Cup games in 2010, including the third place play offs and one of the England matches. The city is vibrant, promising a great social life with beautiful beaches, great surf and with easy access to the stunning Garden Route. The accommodation boasts swimming pool, a gym, table tennis and table football and some people's highlight- Sky TV with 9 sports channels!
What will I be doing?
Gone are the days of standing on the sidelines wishing to be anywhere else but the sports pitch- these kids are all desperate to learn, and will do so with plenty of smiles and laughter. Every weekday your group will head to various schools to coach your chosen sport. Your role will be to help coach the kids and act as a good role model. You don't need to be a top player to take part (though any champions are welcome!) but it's your personality and drive that will make the biggest impact.
What will I be doing each day?
There is a variety of sports to be coached, and you can choose to specialise in one or take part in several.
- Football coaching volunteering- inspiring the kids to love "soccer", one of the nation's favourite games. More...
- Rugby coaching volunteering - the Springboks, SA's national rugby union team, play many matches in Port Elizabeth, so enthusiasm for learning rugby is massive! More...
- Cricket coaching volunteering- Port Elizabeth is the home of SA's oldest cricket ground, and hosted the first Test Match played outside of England or Australia. Needless to say, the sport is huge! More...
- Netball coaching volunteering - netball is a growing sport in SA, especially in the townships. Expect lots of excited girls wanting to learn! More...
- Hockey coaching volunteering - the national hockey team has displayed impressive performances at the international and Olympic level, and is growing in popularity in the townships. More...
- Tennis coaching volunteering - work alongside local organizations supported by the Roger Federer Foundation to bring tennis to the townships, and increase the number of South African stars. More...
- Swimming coaching volunteering - shockingly 70% of the South African population does not know how to swim, the vast majority of these from poor townships- help to teach this valuable skill to many kids who are desperate to learn. More...
If your passion is to teach sport abroad, you will be welcomed into this community with open arms. The kids love it - and their sports and life skills get a real boost too. It's very rewarding to give them these opportunities when so much is stacked against them.You'll be well-supported by the full-time staff who will accompany the group to each session and provide guidance if you want it.
- Teaching and Childcare: If sport isn't your thing, you can get alongside the children at the local orphanage and primary schools. A typical day will include playing games, reading to children, making a fool of yourself and providing much-needed friendship and attention. If you're a fun-loving person with a big heart, you'll be perfect for the job. The staff will be delighted to have you and the children will all want to be your best friend! More...
Port Elizabeth is a vibrant and buzzing city. In a perfect location at one end of the Garden Route, it offers easy access to some of the country's finest attractions- including the world's highest bungee, some amazing wildlife sanctuaries, incredible surfing and a great night life. It is known as the "Friendly City" and has some great shopping, white sand beaches and lots to offer in terms of sports. Many of the volunteers join local clubs to play against other teams in the area. Whether you are joining the 5 week or the 12 week trip, there are some great excursions included in the package.
The nearest airport is Port Elizabeth, about a 90 minute flight from Johannesburg. Oyster can book flights for you or you may prefer to book them yourself. You will need to arrive on a Saturday.
Nick, who runs the sporting programme, is our local representive in Port Elizabeth. He'll meet you at the airport, get you settled in and will liaise with Oyster about your welfare and progress while you are there. You'll have most interaction with Hannah, the volunteer co-ordinator, who was also an ex-volunteer who loved it so much that she has been working there ever since! There are 23 members of staff at the foundation, and you will get close to many of them.
Accommodation and Food
The accommodation is in a lovely leafy area of Port Elizabeth. It caters for all tastes, with great gym facilities, a games room including pool, table tennis, table football and darts, a swimming pool and TV lounge with access to many channels. There is wifi available and all your meals are provided by a lovely homely cook, who prepares your dinner each evening. You take a packed lunch out to the schools with you each day, and breakfast is a large buffet affair.
The accommodation is located about 10 minutes drive from the centre and the sea front, and a couple of minutes walk to the local shops. It is a perfect place to unwind in the evenings, with plenty of space to chill out with the other volunteers.
Cost and what is provided
The cost of a 5 week placement is £1235, excluding flights. Extra weeks are £140 and a 12 week placement (highly recommended) is £2215
What We Provide
- Phone or face-to-face interview and informal briefing
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst in South Africa
- Advice on obtaining a visa (not required for EU citizens)
- Food ( three meals a day)
- Accommodation - dormitory style
- Induction course in-country to orientate you and brief you on local matters
- Met and greeted warmly at Port Elizabeth airport and transfer to accommodation.
- 24/7 country support and back up.
- Full orientation and induction to project before you begin
- All transport to and from project sites
- Several weekend, evening, adventure and social activities/trips
- Free access to InterHealth's Travel Health Advice Service
- Free myTsafe secure document storage account - worth £25!
What do I need?
- All Flights (Oyster can book for you)
- A full passport valid for the duration of your stay
- Visas (where needed)
- Insurance (we can recommend a tailor made policy
- Independent travel costs and return to the airport
- Personal spending money - laundry, drinks, independent travel
- All home country travel costs (to airport and interview if face-to-face)
And one more thing...
The only street in the world to house two Nobel Peace prize winners is in Soweto, South Africa. Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu both have houses in Vilakazi Street in Soweto.
Combine two South Africa projects and save £50 Find out more...