2 week pre-medical experience in Delhi
Are you looking for a career in medicine? Our two week Delhi adventure is perfect for students aged 16-18 years old who are looking to gain medical experience abroad. Join our group heading to the iconic capital city this summer and see why India is on so many travellers’ bucket list.
Oyster Worldwide is an Approved Activity Provider for The Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award.
India is a country that never disappoints. Join our pre-medical group this summer and shadow doctors in a reputable hospital in south Delhi. Led by an experienced leader, the group will get the opportunity to see the Taj Mahal, Jaipur and the wonders of the capital of India.
You will get to tailor your experience to your own medical interest, choosing from a range of departments. During your time in the hospital, you will intern in at least 2 different departments:
- In Patients Department Wards
- Blood Bank
- Occupational Therapy
- Dialysis Unit
- Critical Care
- General Wards
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
This programme incudes amazing weekend tours including:
- Delhi – see the Lotus Temple and Humayun’s Tomb
- Famous Golden Triangle tour, taking in Agra – visit the majestic Taj Mahal and Jaipur – visit Amber Fort and The City Palace
- The Akshardham Temple visit – watch the laser and water show while dinner is served
Accommodation and Food
Staying in south Delhi, a safe suburb in the city, interns will share a twin room in a comfortable hotel. The hotel is conveniently located and is close to the team in India. Hotel room facilities include a security safe, tea and coffee facilities, air-con and a western toilet and shower.
Food is provided throughout the programme. On arrival, you will be taken out for a welcome meal. While at the hospital, you will be provided lunch at the hospital cafe. You will get lots of opportunities to try authentic, delicious Indian cuisine.
- Experience working life in a busy, city hospital
- Learn from experienced medical professionals about the Indian health care system
- Live in a vibrant capital and visit top tourist attractions
- See the Taj Mahal, the Amber Fort and The Akshardham Temple
- Be part of a group who all have similar interests and goals
Whyshould I do this?
Taking part in a medical internship abroad will demonstrate your passion for the subject. This will help you stand out when applying for university. Not only will you get to travel to one of the top destinations in the world, you will also gain a valuable insight into the medical system in India.
Oyster Worldwide is an Approved Activity Provider for The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Residential section and this programme can be used towards achieving the Award.
Still looking for reasons to join? Read our blog that gives our top 7 reasons for joining a pre-medical programme abroad.
For those travelling from London, you will meet the group and the Oyster Leader at London Heathrow Airport on the Friday evening. You will arrive at Indira Gandhi International Airport on the Saturday morning. Transfers between your accommodation in Delhi and the airport are included.
Rajiv and his team of coordinators in India will be looking after you throughout your stay on the programme. The coordinators will have daily contact with you, often at the house at the end of each day to discuss how your programme has gone and to give you lectures on the Indian medical system. You will be given a full orientation of Delhi so that you feel familiar with the local area. You will also be taken out for a meal to welcome you to the area.
What is provided
- Informal interview and briefing
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure, including a briefing course where you will meet others in your group
- Financial protection through IPP (or ATOL, if we book your flights)
- 24 hour support from our UK leader accompanying the group
- 24 hour support from our representatives in India
- Thorough orientation on arrival
- Entrance fee to the Taj Mahal, Amber Fort and Akshardham Temple
- Airport transfers in India
- 3 meals a day
- Hotel accommodation
- Daily transport between the accommodation and the hospital you are working at
- Two lectures on the Indian medical system
- Oyster Worldwide volunteer t-shirt
- Oyster luggage tag
- Oyster journal
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- International flights to/from Delhi (we can book for you if you wish)
- Valid Passport
- India e-visa (approx £45)
- Travel insurance
- Money for 2 lunches during the Golden Triangle tour (£10)
- Spending money for drinks/snacks and cost of travel between projects (£20 per week should be more than sufficient)