2 week pre-medical experience in Palampur, India
Head to Palampur – the land of lots of water and beautiful views of the Himalayas. Join our pre-medical internship to gain valuable experience for your university application. Led by an experience leader, this project is perfect for students aged 16-18, looking to combine medical experience with an Indian adventure.
Oyster Worldwide is an Approved Activity Provider for The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Residential Section.
This project is specially designed for pre-medical students, who are keen to gain medical experience. Escorted by our UK leader, you will be guided to the vibrant capital of India. After an organised trip to the Taj Mahal, you will travel to Palampur – a beautiful rural area of India, surrounded by tea plantations and the impressive Himalayan Mountains.
In Palampur, you will spend the weekdays in local hospitals, learning from highly qualified professionals and gaining a real insight into the Indian medical system. Interns will rotate around various departments. If you are particularly interested in the following departments, please let us know.
• In-patients wards
• Occupational therapy
• General wards
• Obstetrics and Gynaecology
• Internal medicine
• General surgery
This project is completely inclusive. From the moment you arrive in India, everything will be organised and provided for you, from transfers, internal flights and weekend trips.
This project incudes amazing weekend tours including:
- Delhi – see the Lotus Temple and Humayun’s Tomb
- Agra – visit the Taj Mahal
- Palampur Tea garden tour
- McLeod Ganj – Indian home to the Dalai Lama
Accommodation and Food
You will live with the rest of the pre-med interns in a house together. The UK leader will live in the same accommodation. The house will have western toilets and shower facilities. 3 meals a day will provided, ensuring you are well fed and get to sample some of the excellent local cuisine. You will need to budget for 2 lunches during weekend trips.
- Fantastic opportunity to work with professional medics and gain valuable medical experience to help boost your medical CV
- Meet and live with other 16-18 year old pre-medical interns
- Explore the Taj Mahal and experience the wonders of India
- Stay in breathtaking Palampur, surrounded by the Himalayas
- Eat authentic, tasty Indian cuisine
Whyshould I do this?
Careers in medicine are competitive and employers are always on the look out for applicants who can show a real desire to join the medical profession. This 2 week internship will allow you to showcase your passion in your entrance interview.
This inclusive project includes 2 free lectures, 10 days of hospital experience and weekend cultural trips. By the end of your time in India, you will feel truly immersed into India culture and far more knowledgeable about the way the medical system works in this fascinating country.
Oyster Worldwide is an Approved Activity Provider for The Duke of Edinburgh Award residential trips.
Still looking for reasons to join? Read our blog that gives our top 7 reasons for joining a pre-medical project abroad.
Arrival airport: Indira Gandhi International Airport on the Saturday
If you want to travel from London with the leader, please speak to us.
You will be met by our representatives when you arrive. You will be driven to your accommodation in Delhi.
On the first Monday, the group will fly to Gaggal Airport in Dharamshala (DHM) – a 40 minute flight. The group will be met on arrival and taken to the intern accommodation in Palampur.
All transfers between airports and accommodation in India are included.
Sahil and his team of coordinators in India will be looking after you throughout your stay on the project. The coordinators will have daily contact with you, often at the house at the end of each day to discuss how your project has gone and to give you lectures on the Indian medical system. You will be given a half day orientation in Palampur so that you feel familiar with public transport and the local area. You will also be taken out for a meal to welcome you to the area.
What is provided
- Informal interview and briefing
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the project and manage your booking.
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure, including a briefing course where you meet others in your group
- Financial protection through IPP (or ATOL, if we book your flights)
- 24 hour support from our UK leader accompanying the group
- 24 hour support from our representatives in India
- Thorough orientation on arrival
- Entrance fee to the Taj Mahal
- Internal flights between Delhi and Dharamshala
- Airport transfers in India
- 3 meals a day
- Daily transport between the accommodation and the hospital you are working at
- Two lectures on the Indian medical system
- Oyster Worldwide volunteer t-shirt
- Oyster luggage tag
- Oyster journal
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- International flights to/from Delhi (we can book for you if you wish)
- Valid Passport
- India e-visa (approx £45)
- Travel insurance
- Spending money for 2 lunches, drinks and snacks (£30 per week should be more than sufficient)