Au Pair in China
China is such a varied and exciting country – most travellers barely scratch the surface. As an Au Pair, you can experience living as a local in an extraordinary country – all while earning money!
China is a fore-runner on the global stage and living there and learning Mandarin will make your C.V / resume stand out. If you are aged 18-29, want to explore the wonders of China, but are keen to avoid a huge cost, look no further. This is an extremely affordable and fun way to travel!
What is an Au Pair?
In China, Au Pairs are live-in private tutors. Families do not expect Au Pairs to do any major housework – your focus will be solely on being a good role model and helping the children with their English. Most families will have an Ayi (housemaid) who will focus on cooking and cleaning. You can expect to work no more than 30 hours a week. In the morning, you will help to get the children up and take them to school. At the end of the day, you will put the children to bed. At the end of your time living in China, you will truly feel like one of the family – a really rewarding experience!
In addition to this, there are lots of benefits. Included on this programme:
- City tour and orientation
- 20 hours of Mandarin Lessons
- A RMB1000 allowance a month
- Up to RMB6000 as a completion bonus – depending on the length of your stay
- All meals
- A private room in a family home
To be eligible for this programme, you must be 18-29, be a native English speaker and have no criminal record. The perfect Au Pair is someone who is passionate about working with children, positive and energetic!
Locations in China
The great news is that most families live in either Beijing or Shanghai. Beijing is the vibrant capital of such a huge country and a culturally rich place to live. Shanghai is the financial centre of the country and an equally exciting city.
If you would prefer to experience living in a smaller city, let us know. Some families that we work with live in the following cities:
- Guangzhou – a coastal city in the south
- Changsha – the capital of the Hunan province
- Tianjin- a port city close to Beijing
- Zhongshan – located in the south on the Pearl River Delta.
All families are thoroughly vetted. The family you live with will be successful professionals. The English ability of the families does vary, but you can expect them to be very welcoming whatever the level. The children you work with will typically be between 3 and 14 years old. The family will have lived or travelled abroad and they will be open to hosting you as part of a cultural exchange.
- Live in China like a local
- Earn money while exploring an amazing country
- Meet other like-minded Au Pairs
- Gain valuable tutoring experience
Whyshould I do this?
This is a fantastic opportunity for you to gain some valuable childcare and tutoring experience. Living with a family will provide you with an unique insight into Chinese culture and by the end of your experience in China, you will feel like you have made wonderful memories with your host family. With flexible dates and a monthly allowance, this is a great way to explore China without breaking the bank.
You will fly to Beijing International Airport (PEK) where you will be met. You will receive a full orientation before meeting your family.
You will get to know our partners in Beijing very well on the arrival. They will provide you with a full orientation, a city tour and 24 hours support for your entire stay in China. The team in China have all experienced living in China and can offer you support and advice on how to settle in. They all share a passion for this exciting country. A local English speaking representative will your main point of contact.
What is provided
- Phone or face-to-face interview
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account
- Airport pick-up
- Hotel accommodation on your first night
- Full orientation and city tour
- Welcome meal
- Arrival pack – including phrasebook and SIM card
- Accommodation (thoroughly checked before arrival) with a family
- 3 meals a day
- Monthly allowance RMB 1000 (Approx. £120 and $150)
- Completion bonus which is dependent on your length of stay
- 20 hours monthly group Chinese lessons at a licensed language school
- Access to online learning resources
- Monthly cultural activities and meet ups – these have previously included karaoke nights and charity days
- Pre-departure assistance
- 24-7 emergency support from the in-country team
- Post-programme support should you wish to remain in China
What do I need
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa fee
- Medical check – required prior to departure