Art course in Romania
Join an intensive week-long art course in the stunning medieval city of Brasov, working with an international artist to stretch your talents and improve your technique. Enjoy creating new pieces of work in a bright and airy studio, or out in the beautiful Transylvanian surroundings.
Travel to the beautiful medieval city of Brasov, in central Transylvania, to take part in an intensive introduction course into botanical drawing and painting. This course is aimed at beginners and intermediates, and offers the opportunity to experience Transylvania in a creative way. The course will take place in a bright and spacious creative studio in the old centre of Brasov, surrounded by the sloping foothills of the Carpathian Mountains.
The course last for one week, with intensive work activity of 6 hours per day for 4 days. The main programme is meant for indoor work, but weather permitting, outdoor painting can be part of the exercises. All materials are included on the course.
What will I be doing?
- Drawing techniques – how to reproduce reality in drawing, focusing on botanical subjects with techniques that can also be applied to architecture, landscape and portrait
- Learning about how to take the piece of artwork from a sketch to a final painting
- Introduction to botanical painting, and the conceptual approach of painting in and from nature
- Introduction to the theory of composition and colors, learning about various tools and techniques in order to choose the most suitable one, such as charcoal, pencils, watercolour, oil and collage
- Different types of painting, from naturalistic to abstract
- 24 hours of training over one week
- In your free time, enjoy a half day trip to the legendary Dracula’s Castle
Who will be my teacher?
You will be taught by a passionate international artist who has over 10 years experience of teaching art and design to all ages and abilities. Irina is a multi-disciplinary architect and botanical artist of the American Society of Botanical Artists. Her main interest revolves around botanical science and art, and includes illustration, painting, textile design, interior design and more. Irina graduated from architectural studies in Bucharest and then studied at the art school in Rome. Her work has been published worldwide and exhibited in prestigious international events. Irina places lots of emphasis on encouraging students to find and develop their own style.
Accommodation and food
You will be accommodated in a centrally located hotel, not far from the art studio or from the buzz of Brasov’s medieval centre. Breakfast is included with your room.
The art studio has a small kitchen where you can prepare a sandwich or salad, or heat up some food in the microwave.
In the evenings, you can either eat out in one of the many tasty and good value restaurants in town, or head to the Oyster volunteer flat to make dinner in the kitchen facilities there.
When should I book?
Whilst late-availability is possible, we would advise booking as soon as you can to guarantee your ideal dates. Our projects are very popular and spaces can fill up several months in advance, especially for the months of June to September.
- Improve your painting in one of Eastern Europe’s most beautiful cities
- Work closely with an expert artist, who will guide you through the different aspects of the course
- Work in a real artist’s studio, with all of the art supplies that you could need at your finger tips
- Explore this glorious area of the world in your free time, with a half-day trip included
- Improve your skills, ready for further art studies, or simply to be able to enjoy your hobby more upon your return home
Whyshould I do this?
As art courses for beginners go, this is an excellent place to start. The course is perfect for anybody wishing to learn painting in one week of intensive training. Participants can be complete beginners, or moving to intermediates, or people who would like to start again after a break in painting. The main subject is botanical, therefore the exercise implies working with plants, from still life to abstract interpretations. The right person will be a nature lover, passionate to spend time drawing and painting.
Whether you are looking to do an art gap year or an art holiday, this Romania art course is a brilliant option.
You will fly to Bucharest airport (OTP). You will be collected from your flight and driven to Brasov, approximately 2-3 hours drive from Bucharest. Once there, Razvan will help you to settle you into your accommodation, before giving you a thorough orientation.
Your return transport to the airport is also included and arranged for you.
A perfect English speaker and probably the most dynamic person you will ever meet, Razvan has run our Romania programmes since 2003. A veteran rep – he has dealt with over 400 Oyster participants so far – he always goes way beyond his Oyster job description, organising wonderful trips and giving great advice for the best ways to see his country. You will get full support from Razvan throughout your course to ensure that you have a happy and productive time in Romania.
What is provided
- Before booking: Dedicated period of time on the phone or in person to discuss the project, answer any questions that you might have and find out more about you
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Pre-departure briefing
- Help and advice from our UK office before and after departure
- Airport welcome and pick up
- Return transfer to the airport at the end of your stay
- A welcome meal on your arrival
- Tour of Brasov
- Comfortable central hotel accommodation
- Free wifi at the accommodation and art studio
- 24 hours of intensive training course with a professional lecturer
- Permanent professional guidance during working hours
- Painting and drawing materials – sketchbooks, paper, canvas, brushes, pencils, paint, accessories, mediums, varnishes, solvents
- Studio access, including library, wifi, research and work areas, kitchen
- Coffee and tea during working hours
- Assistance and support from our representative whilst on your placement including regular social ‘meet ups’
- Thorough orientation and basic Romanian language guide
- Excludes food (approx. £20 per day)
- One weekend half-day trip to Dracula’s Castle
- EU VAT at 17.5% on UK cost elements
- Oyster luggage tag
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- A passport valid for the duration of your stay
- Insurance (we can recommend a specific policy)
- Flights to Bucharest. We can help you organise these
- Cost of changing your return flight date if you need to
- All home country travel costs
- Independent travel costs whilst in Romania and on the organised trip
- Cost of food and going out (approx £150 – £200 per week dependent on lifestyle)