Marmot Basin 11-week CASI Snowboard Instructor Course
If you want to become a snowboard instructor, look no further! With Oyster you can qualify as a CASI Level 1 and 2 snowboard instructor on our 11 week instructor course in Canada. Improve your boarding and learn new skills to help you find work as a snowboard instructor next season. Even if you don’t see this as a career move,you’ll have the most incredible 11 weeks living in the Canadian Rockies.
We work closely with Marmot Basin and our partner in the Canadian Rockies to provide you with your CASI Level 1 and Level 2 snowboarding qualifications. On this course you will gain high quality, professional tuition along with world renowned qualifications. In the heart of the beautiful Jasper National Park, you will find your home in the town of Jasper, just a short bus ride from the mountain. Marmot Basin boasts the highest base elevation of any ski resort in Canada; this means a fantastic amount of fresh snow for you and your board!
During this 11 week programme you will receive first class coaching on your snowboarding from mostly Level 4 instructors. These guys are the best at what they do and they will prepare you for becoming an instructor on the mountain. The course follows a set structure so you will know exactly what you will be learning each week. Since it is such an intensive programme your snowboarding will improve dramatically during the course. This means that previous experience isn’t a necessity but the ability to get down red runs in Europe would be useful.
Following the course structure, you will spend the first four weeks in Marmot Basin preparing for your CASI Level 1 exam. After passing this you will then begin your training towards your CASI Level 2. You can read about the courses in detail on our More Information page. The level 2 is considerably harder work and requires more advanced skills but with hard work and dedication, passing your exam at the end of the season is a fantastic achievement!
A perk of being part of this course is that you will be treated as if you were a member of staff, rather than a tourist. A number of discounts will be available to you across the resort such as 30% off food, 15% off at the retail store and 50% of rental and repairs.
As a CASI qualified snowboard instructor, you stand a good chance of finding employment as an instructor in future seasons. Marmot Basin look favourably on graduates from this course, or you could look for work anywhere in the world to coach your sport.
“You’ll be taught by some of the best instructors in the sport, who just happen to be really nice people! You’ll live in a beautiful part of the world and meet tons of new friends from all over the world” – Karl, January 2015
Accommodation and Food
You will stay in a hotel in the authentic mountain town of Jasper, located 20 minutes from the ski area of Marmot Basin. Transfers to and from the mountain are included and run 7 days a week. You will share a twin hotel room for the full 11 week course (77 nights), with access to all the hotel facilities like steam room and hot tub! Along with the free Wi-Fi, you will certainly be able to relax after a long day on the slopes.
Breakfast and dinner is provided 7 days a week in your hotel.
- Receive excellent training from top-level instructors in Canada’s highest resort – base elevation 5800 feet.
- Benefit from a season ski pass, and the inclusion of all CSIA Level 1 and Level 2 costs.
- No need for a Canadian Working Holiday visa.
- Future employment possibilities at Marmot Basin and elsewhere.
- Enjoy life with others who share your passion for snow sports amongst the spectacular mountain scenery of Jasper National Park.
- Breakfast, dinner and accommodation included 7 days a week.
Whyshould I do this?
Whether you want to learn a new skills or have been boarding since before you could walk, this is the course for you.
We work with the best snowboard instructors at Marmot Basin. These guys and girls are there to ensure that your skills and technique improves dramatically over the 11 weeks. Our instructors are with you for 240 hours across the season and will give you targets on what you need to improve between lessons.
If you are looking for a season that gives more than just a certificate, this is for you. You will make new friends, experience a true Canadian mountain-town culture and create memories that will last a life-time.
Jasper is located centrally between Calgary and Edmonton Airports. Your arrival airport will be confirmed in good time before the course start date and return transfers from the airport to Jasper are included.
What is provided
- Informal interview to assess your suitability and briefing
- Full support from our representative whilst you are in Jasper
- Airport transfers to and from Jasper
- Daily transfers from your hotel to Marmot Basin, and back again
- Full season ski pass
- 240 hours tuition from the best instructors in town
- CASI Level 1 Instructor Qualification
- CASI Level 2 Instructor Qualification
- 77 nights accommodation in a central Jasper hotel, twin rooms, free WiFi provided in each room
- Breakfast and dinner provided 7 days a week
- End of season leaving meal
What do I need
- Insurance to cover the duration of your stay (covering any planned adventurous activities, we can introduce you to a policy)
- Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before heading to Canada. This costs $7 and is valid for up to 5 years
- Money to cover your social life in Jasper and any trips that you want to go on
- All home-country travel costs (eg to the airport)
- A passport valid for a minimum of 6 months after you return
- Take your own equipment or buy locally when you arrive.