Marmot Basin 11-week CASI Snowboard Instructor Course
If you want to become a snowboard instructor, look no further! With Oyster you can qualify as a CASI Level 1 and 2 snowboard instructor on our 11 week instructor course in Canada. Improve your boarding and learn new skills to help you find work as an instructor next season, plus, have the most amazing gap year in the Canadian Rockies!
We are proud to offer one of the most inclusive boarding programmes available that even includes the cost of the CASI 2 exam!
We work closely with Marmot Basin, in the Canadian Rockies, to provide you with your CASI Level 1 and Level 2 snowboarding qualifications. With Oyster and Marmot Basin you will gain high quality, professional tuition along with world renowned qualifications. In the heart of the beautiful Jasper National Park, you will find your home in the town of Jasper, just a short bus ride from the mountain. Marmot Basin boasts the highest base elevation of any ski resort in Canada; this means a fantastic amount of fresh snow for you and your board!
During this 11 week programme you will receive first class coaching on your snowboarding from mostly Level 4 instructors. These guys are the best at what they do and they will prepare you for becoming an instructor on the mountain. The course follows a set structure so you will know exactly what you will be learning each week. Since it is such an intensive programme your snowboarding will improve dramatically during the course. This means that previous experience isn’t a necessity but the ability to get down red runs in Europe would be useful.
As if the snowboard coaching isn’t enough, we have also included a number of extra elements on your course that make our programme even more unique. All of this will give you the best knowledge possible to go out and teach your favourite snow sport:
- Avalanche skills training
- Emergency situations
- Natural hazards
- Navigation technology training
- Ski area management
- Equipment tuning
Following the course structure, you will spend the first four weeks in Marmot Basin preparing for your CASI Level 1 exam. After passing this you will then begin your training towards your CASI Level 2. You can read about the courses in detail on our More Information page. The level 2 is considerably harder work and requires more advanced skills but with hard work and dedication, passing your exam at the end of the season is a fantastic achievement!
A perk of being part of this course is that you will be treated as if you were a member of staff, rather than a tourist. A number of discounts will be available to you across the resort such as 30% off food, 15% off at the retail store and 50% of rental and repairs.
As a CASI qualified snowboard instructor, you stand a good chance of finding employment as an instructor in future seasons. Marmot Basin look favourably on graduates from this course, or you could look for work anywhere in the world to coach your sport.
“You’ll be taught by some of the best instructors in the sport, who just happen to be really nice people! You’ll live in a beautiful part of the world and meet tons of new friends from all over the world” – Karl, January 2015
Accommodation and Food
You will stay in a hotel in the authentic mountain town of Jasper, located 20 minutes from the ski area of Marmot Basin. Transfers to and from the mountain are included and run 7 days a week. You will share a twin hotel room for the full 11 week course, with access to all the hotel facilities like swimming pools and hot tubs! Along with the free wifi, you will certainly be able to relax after a long day on the slopes.
The hotel will provide you with hot breakfast to set you up for your days on the mountain and we will give you $25 per night to cover costs for dinner. On top of that you will just need to budget for lunch and any drinks/snacks you want. Due to the size of the town you’ll be spoilt for choice!
Everyone likes to hear how people are getting on, so once a week you’ll have dinner with our local representative to catch up. We will also host a dinner at the end of the season with all the instructors and staff you’ll have been working with. This is a fantastic leaving party and a great way to end your course in Jasper.
There are many snowboard instructor courses available around the world. Here are some reasons why we think our course is the best!
- Receive excellent training from top-level instructors in Canada’s highest resort – base elevation 5800 feet.
- Benefit from a season ski pass, and the inclusion of all CSIA Level 1 and Level 2 costs.
- No need for a Canadian Working Holiday visa.
- Future employment possibilities at Marmot Basin and elsewhere.
- Enjoy life with others who share your passion for snow sports amongst the spectacular mountain scenery of Jasper National Park.
- Receive full support from Paul, our country rep, through weekly meet-ups with him and the rest of your group.
- Breakfast, dinner and accommodation included 7 days a week.
Whyshould I do this?
Whether you want to learn a new skills or have been boarding since before you could walk, this is the course for you.
We work with the best snowboard instructors at Marmot Basin. These guys and girls are there to ensure that your skills and technique improves dramatically over the 11 weeks. Our instructors are with you for 200 hours across the season and will give you targets on what you need to improve between lessons.
If you are looking for a season that gives more than just a certificate, this is for you. You will make new friends, experience a true Canadian mountain-town culture and create memories that will last a life-time.
If you are flying from the UK, we will see your group of snowboarders and skiers off at Heathrow Airport and you’ll fly to Edmonton Airport (usually with Iceland Air via Reykjavik) where you will be met by Paul, our representative, and taken to Jasper. This is a 4 hour journey and goes through some spectacular scenery, particularly as you journey through Jasper National Park.
If you are travelling from outside of the UK we will arrange for you to meet the group on arrival in Canada.
Paul is originally from Quebec and has had an extensive career working for the Canadian Military Police and the Canadian government as a fraud investigator. Deciding to take on a completely different route, Paul has followed his hobbies to become a ski instructor during the winter and rafting guide in the summer.
Paul has spent many seasons working and skiing at Marmot Basin as a qualified ski instructor. Paul is also an active ice hockey player, keen cyclist and hiker. Paul is well connected in Jasper and looks forward to sharing his knowledge and experience with you.
Paul is on hand should you need any help or advice and will become a helpful friend to you. He will host regular meet ups with the Oyster group where we will provide a few drinks and snacks and give you the opportunity to talk through any issues you have or pass on any feedback.
What is provided
- Informal interview to assess your suitability and briefing
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Pre departure briefing
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst in Canada
- Full support from our representative whilst you are in Jasper, including regular dinners to discuss your progress
- Optional return flight from London to Edmonton. Total cost including flight £8450.
- Full financial protection through ATOL (if we book your flights) or IPP (if you book your own)
- Airport transfers to and from Jasper
- Daily transfers from your hotel to Marmot Basin, and back again
- Full season ski pass
- 200 hours tuition from the best instructors in town
- CASI Level 1 Instructor Qualification
- CASI Level 2 Instructor Qualification
- Real life work experience
- Avalanche Awareness Course
- Mountain Management and Customer Service Course
- Equipment Tuning Class
- 79 nights accommodation in a central Jasper hotel, twin rooms, free WiFi provided in each room
- Hot breakfast and dinner allowance 7 days a week
- End of season leaving meal
- Oyster hoody
- Oyster luggage tag
- Free access to InterHealth’s Travel Health Advice Service
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- Insurance to cover the duration of your stay (covering any planned adventurous activities, we can introduce you to a policy)
- Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before heading to Canada. This costs $7 and is valid for up to 5 years
- Money to cover your social life in Jasper and any trips that you want to go on
- All home-country travel costs (eg to the airport)
- A passport valid for a minimum of 6 months after you return
- Take your own equipment or buy locally when you arrive.