Sports coaching in Ghana
Want to see a nation with real passion for sports? Travel to Ghana! Football is the most popular sport and when the national team – Black Stars win – the country erupts in celebration. However, football is not the only sport that is loved there. Head to Ghana and coach anything from netball to martial arts and work with people with genuine talent.
Share your passion for sport with young people in Ghana, where sport is a real source of pride. Kids in Accra, the capital, are always excited to learn a new skill and love when volunteers dedicate time to helping them improve. This project is based at an incredible football academy, set up to spot young talent and to provide them with food, education and a chance to dedicate quality time to the sport they love.
All sports coaching volunteers will get a chance to spend some time at the academy, but they can also specialise in different sports across Accra. Volunteering as a sports coach can make a real difference to children in the area. Whatever the sport, the project aims to get as many children participating in physical activity across the city, giving them opportunities not available to them at school.
The sports you can coach include:
- Martial arts
You will be coaching Monday to Friday, for a minimum of 3 hours a day. As it can be hot in Ghana, sessions often take place in the morning or afternoon, avoiding the midday sun.
Can I volunteer?
As long as you are enthusiastic about your sport and over 18, you can head out to Ghana to coach sports. Volunteers will need to be confident working with large groups of children. If you have coaching qualifications, let us know and we can organise for you to work with children with more advanced skill or you can take part in our football internship – fantastic for people with qualifications, looking to gain experience.
Accommodation and Food
You will be living in shared accommodation with other volunteers, making this an incredibly sociable experience. The accommodation has single sex rooms and western bathrooms. There are plenty of communal areas, including a swimming pool – great for relaxing in after a day of volunteering. You will have access to WiFi. There is a wall around the accommodation and there is a guard at the gate at all times.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided for you, seven days a week. You will be provided with a packed lunch to take with you each day. Breakfast and dinner is home-cooked and served at a large dining table in the accommodation. The food is varied but you will have plenty of opportunities to try out Ghanaian food. Clean drinking water is provided for you at the accommodation.
The accommodation is located in Teshi Nungua, about 20 minutes drive from the centre of Accra and 10 minutes from the sea front. It is close to local amenities.
When should I book?
Whilst late-availability is possible, we would advise booking as soon as you can to guarantee your ideal dates. Our projects are very popular and spaces can fill up several months in advance, especially between June to September.
- Dedicate your time abroad to practicing and sharing your favourite sport
- Meet like-minded volunteers and incredible young people
- Live in sociable volunteer accommodation – with a pool!
- Live in Ghana – a truly unique opportunity
- Work with a team of dedicated people, who are committed to improving the lives of young people in Accra through sport
Whyshould I do this?
Coaching sport is one of the most rewarding ways to spend your time abroad. Kids in Ghana are enthusiastic about meeting volunteers and about learning new sports. In Ghana, sport is often not embedded into the school curriculum and sports clubs struggle with funding. This means that many children, who have talent or interest, struggle to find suitable coaching and this is where you come in! Sport helps young people in the local community to develop new skills and to make new friends.
Ghana is a fantastic country to live in and sports coaching allows you to get to know the local community and culture first hand. The people are incredibly friendly and welcoming. If you are looking for a country with real heart and soul, Ghana is the perfect choice.
Volunteers fly in to Accra – Kotoka International Airport (ACC) on the start date of the project, which is usually a Saturday or Sunday.
On arrival, you will be collected by a member of the team and taken to the accommodation to settle in and to get to know the rest of the volunteers.
What is provided
- Phone or face-to-face interview and informal briefing
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst in Ghana
- Advice on obtaining a visa
- Airport transfer
- Shared accommodation for the duration of your programme
- 3 meals a day, seven days a week
- A full orientation on arrival
- 24/7 country support and back-up
- Peace of mind with full financial protection through our ATOL (if we book your flights) or IPP (if you book your own)
- Oyster Worldwide volunteer t-shirt
- Oyster luggage tag
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- International flights
- A passport valid a minimum for 6 months after your return date
- Tourist visa
- Insurance covering your project and any planned independent travel – we can introduce a policy to you
- Independent travel and personal expenditure
- Any home country travel costs (to airport)
- Provide a recent police certificate/DBS check