Teach and Earn in China
Work for six months as an English teacher in China on a teaching programme that includes a Beijing induction and a good salary. This is a great opportunity to teach English, learn Mandarin and travel to see China’s unforgettable sights.
This is a once in a lifetime experience for ambitious people who have a degree and want to live as a local, teaching English in China. It will enhance your life skills to give you a healthy blend of challenge and fun while you teach your mother tongue – a much sought after language in China. The money you earn will be enough to live well and fund your sightseeing trips in China.
English is the principal international language and it is drilled into the schools that it is paramount to learn to a high standard. As an English speaker you receive a warm and sometimes curious reception, and you’ll be highly valued by your students.
- You are eligible if you are a native English speaker, have a Bachelor degree and a TEFL certificate (minimum 120 hours)
- If you are a native English speaker, who doesn’t have a TEFL certificate, you will need to have a Bachelor degree and at least 2 years’ post-graduation teaching experience.
- If you are a non-native English speaker, you must have a Bachelor degree from a native English speaking country and a TEFL certificate (minimum 120 hours).
- If you are a non-native English speaker, who doesn’t have a TEFL certificate, you will need to have a Bachelor degree from a native English speaking country and at least 2 years’ post-graduation teaching experience.
You must be between 20 – 50 years old.
Oyster welcome career breakers, who want a real and important job whilst experiencing the Chinese way of life, its people and its language.
Oyster is happy to advise on TEFL courses.
Before you travel, we will help you prepare for your trip with useful advice and tips from Oyster staff with first hand knowledge of China. You will fly into Beijing where you will be met and taken to accommodation (usually university style accommodation) for your 3 day orientation programme.
During the orientation, you will get to know your local support team, as well as receiving advice on teaching Chinese students. It also includes a welcome dinner and all meals. You will then be taken to start work in a school in your preferred area of China (eg north, central or southern China). Some teachers will be assigned to individual schools on their own. However, there will be other teachers in the local area.
The schools are usually large, with 300 to 5000 students and are a mixture of private and government schools. Student ages are from 3 to 18. Class sizes range from 40-50 pupils. Expect to work a 40 hour week, with 20-25 hours face to face teaching. You will get 2 days off a week – not necessarily together or at the weekend, as well as public and school holidays. Schools are located in Guangdong, Chengdu, Zhejiang and Jiangsu.
You will earn 6500 RMB per month after tax (approx USD 1000 or GBP 800, which is worth a lot more in China). On successful completion of your contract, you will receive a bonus of 6500 RMB. With Oyster’s programme, you will get help with all your arrangements, guidance on obtaining a visa and the chance to meet be part of a wider teaching network in China.
Your contract will expire 15 days before your visa ends, allowing further time for travel. There is so much to see: the Great Wall, the Terracotta army, imperial palaces, sky scraping Shanghai, giant pandas, gardens of Suzhou and more. Teachers are free to re-negotiate an extension of their contract directly with their school on completion of the programme.
Accommodation and Food
You receive free accommodation and 3 free meals a day, while at school, and you will receive a monthly wage from the school. You will have your own room in a shared apartment or university style accommodation. You can expect WiFi and to be close to the school.
- Become a valued member of a welcoming school community and immerse yourself in the daily life of a very different culture.
- Use creativity to engage and teach your pupils, and become respected by them.
- Become competent in Mandarin, the world’s fastest growing language, as you practise it in your day-to-day life.
- Give your CV a dash of dynamism and a strong international flavour.
- Earn good money to tour China, see its amazing sites and taste its delicious cuisine.
- Benefit from accommodation and food provided by the school.
Whyshould I do this?
China is much talked about – this is your chance to experience it for yourself as a resident.
You get a real, full time well paid job in China – a unique opportunity to enjoy the buzz of living and teaching in China. A year in China will bring you life long benefits whatever you choose to do afterwards, as well as great memories and many new friends. Your employment prospects will be considerably enhanced, especially if you work at your Mandarin and make the best of you time in China.
You will face challenges in China, but at least you know you will have peace of mind knowing you will be met in Beijing and attend an induction course before being taken to your school as well as advice and support throughout from Beijing. You’ll get a good salary – your money goes a lot further in China and travel and eating out are particularly cheap. Accommodation at your school is comfortable separate accommodation giving you some peace and quiet to be able to work at your Mandarin and English lessons. You’ll also experience China as local rather than just passing through as a visitor. In 6 months you have the opportunity to see much more than main tourist sights.
The chance to learn Mandarin in China.
Comfortable on site accommodation.
The opportunity to see much more than China’s main tourist attractions.
You will need to arrive at Beijing airport, where you will be met by the local team. Oyster can book flights for you, or you are welcome to book your own.
What is provided
- Full briefing on what to expect from China and the school placement before departing for China
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Pre-departure advice covering medical and safety features
- Visa advice on obtaining the Chinese Z visa
- Help and advice 24/7 from our UK office and in China
- 3 day Beijing induction, all meals, 1 day tour, advice on teaching Chinese students and getting to know the support staff
- Met personally at Beijing airport and free transfer to the Beijing induction
- Free transport from Beijing to the school
- Good quality free, shared accommodation at both the induction and school
- Food is provided by the school, three meals a day, five days a week
- 6500RMB Salary, 6000RMB completion bonus. 6500RMB is approx USD 1000 or GBP 800
- Oyster can book your flights and is ATOL bonded
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- A full passport valid for a minimum of 6 months after your date of return and with at least two clear pages
- Flights to Beijing (Oyster can help you to organise these)
- Cost of Chinese Z Visa (£300 at the time of writing)
- Insurance (covering your programme time and any planned independent travel).
- Cost of changing your return flight date if you decide to travel afterwards.
- Independent travel costs and return to the airport.
- Any additional costs such as trips, snacks, entertainment (allow maybe £25 per week depending on lifestyle)
- Make sure all vaccinations are up to date. Consult your GP
- You need an updated CV that will impress your potential employer in China
- A TEFL qualification; 120 hours minimum or 2 years continuous teaching experience.