Spend 6 months in China – a vast and fascinating country. If you are over 18 and keen to gain a TEFL, earn money, learn Mandarin and experience cultural activities like Tai Chi and caligraphy – this is the program for you!
This is a fantastic experience for dynamic and ambitious young people, to enhance their knowledge, teach young people English and gain a true understanding of the culture of this vast and rapidly developing country. When you arrive in China, you will join your group in Beijing for 2 nights. During this time, you will get to see the iconic sites of the city, As a group, interns will begin 10 days of teacher training, including 20 hours in-classroom training. You will also get the opportunity to take Tai Chi and Mandarin lessons and you will get a chance to learn calligraphy. After your completion of the TEFL course, you will then begin to teach English for 4.5 months, being paid as an intern teacher.
Increased tourism and a developing relationship with the West have given rise to a huge demand in China to speak English, the principal international language. Native speaking English teachers are valued highly by young Chinese students, who have a strong desire to learn.
Excellent training and support is provided. No prior experience of teaching is necessary, but applicants will need to complete a 120 hour online TEFL course at home before arriving. The price of the program includes the online TEFL component. If you already have one, let us know at the time of application.
The induction is carefully planned to prepare you to get involved in school life, relate to local people, feel part of the community and learn Mandarin. Exciting group trips and activities are very much part of the project.
Before you travel, you will be provided with a full briefing by Oyster. At Beijing airport, you will be met and given a 2 day city induction which will ensure you’re prepared for living and working in China. Among other things, this will include a tour of Beijing – including a trip to the Great Wall of China.
Positions exist in kindergarten/ pre-school, primary and secondary schools and we do our best to place you where you want and always with at least one other teacher. At the same time, you will be supported by local staff and Oyster throughout your stay.
Oyster’s aim is to help make your transfer to a completely different culture as seamless as possible.
Accommodation and Food
You will receive accommodation, meals, Mandarin classes and a monthly allowance. Shared accommodation at your school is in an apartment with fellow participants. A TV, kitchen and bathroom are included. All accommodation has to reach a standard laid down by our partners in Beijing. Meals are provided on campus.
- Obtain valuable teaching experience required to complete your TEFL, which you can use in many different countries, and looks great to future employers.
- Challenge yourself with Mandarin lessons, and try your hand at Tai Chi and caligraphy.
- Feel highly valued and respected by hard-working Chinese students, and become part of a welcoming school community.
- Receive excellent training and feel fully-supported before departure and during your time away.
- Enjoy a tour of Beijing’s sites (including the Great Wall and the Bird’s Nest Olympic Stadium) as part of your induction project.
- Engage with young people from a completely different culture and make new friends along the way.
Whyshould I do this?
China has to be seen to be believed. It’s an incredibly dynamic country with an ancient history that only opened its borders to visitors relatively recently. Right now is a very exciting to time to live for 5-6 months in one of the world’s fastest growing nations. We defy anyone to visit and not be bowled over by it. In China, foreigners are warmly welcomed, particularly if they can help teach English to the 350 million Chinese English students. Knowledge of China and Mandarin gives a real international flavor to any Resume or CV and will leave you with a desire to learn more. This project will challenge you, but the good support and training in place will enable you to give your best as an English teacher. At the end, you will have a TEFL qualification that you could use to travel and work in other South East Asia countries. Alternatively, you could continue to explore the many other parts of this extensive and diverse region.
You will fly to Beijing where you will be met and taken to your shared apartment. You will stay at this accommodation throughout the training. After your induction and training, you will be taken to your school, introduced to other teachers and shown your accommodation.
You will get to know our partners in Beijing very well on the 2 day induction and 10 day teacher training project that that they run for you in Beijing. They offer 24/7 help. Additionally, there will be a local representative close to your school to be a support to you as well as a named, English speaking, contact point on the school staff.
What is provided
- Met personally at Beijing airport and transfer to the induction in Beijing
- Good quality shared accommodation with en-suite facilities at both the induction and school for 5 months
- 4.5 months teaching internship
- Access to online 120 hour TEFL qualification
- Transport to school
- 10 day teacher training course
- Tour of Beijing’s top attractions
- Mandarin lessons (2 hours a week while at your school)
- All food at school provided free of charge.
- A monthly allowance 2000RMB (approx £250) and a completion bonus 2500 RMB (approx £300)
- Full briefing on what to expect from China and the school placement before leaving the UK.
- Medical check paid for by the school.
- Pre-departure advice covering medical and safety features.
- Visa advice and assistance
- Help and advice 24/7 from our UK office and in China
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- A full passport valid for a minimum of 6 months after your date of return and with at least two clear pages
- Hard copy of a Police check to show you have no Criminal record.
- Flights to Beijing (Oyster can help you to organize these)
- Insurance covering your project time and any planned independent travel – we can introduce you to a policy
- Cost of changing your return flight date if you decide to travel afterwards.
- Independent travel costs and return to the airport.
- Any additional costs such as trips, snacks, entertainment (allow maybe £25 per week depending on lifestyle)
- Make sure all vaccinations are up to date. Consult your GP
- Visa cost £370