When you go on an Oyster project you can be confident that:
- We have carried out a risk assessment to identify any potential risks to health, safety and security, as well as ways in which these can be prevented
- Regular checks are made on any accommodation, transport and equipment provided at the project
- We use reputable local firms for transporting our participants, in line with local standards
- There will be an Oyster representative locally to help you in any emergency
- Emergency procedures exist for every project
- You will be briefed on how to stay healthy and safe before departure
- There will be access to first aid and medical care nearby
- Our UK and overseas staff are experienced at planning and managing your trip
- You will be given full information about the project, cost, Oyster’s conditions and any risk factors before you decide to book
- We monitor political and security developments carefully and pay close attention to Foreign Office travel advice
- Your money will be protected through our comprehensive insurance policies and our ATOL bond (if we book your flight)
- You will understand your responsibilities when leaving the project for independent trips (known as ‘downtime’).
The Year Out Group has written an excellent guide on BS8848.