Work in New Zealand and experience Maori Culture
Experience the best of New Zealand’s North Island with a fantastic orientation including a trip to the beautiful Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga and a historic day of complete immersion into the rich Maori culture. Take full advantage of the support from our Auckland team who will be there to help set up bank accounts, tax file numbers and sim cards, and deliver detailed presentations on job finding. You will be entitled to 12 month assistance with paid work and lots of help in the most important part – travelling and having fun!
Get paid work and enjoy New Zealand’s North Island highlights!
This programme offers a fantastic opportunity to work and travel in one of the most diverse and beautiful countries in the world. This is a 12 month work and holiday package where you will be assisted with finding work and setting up all necessary paperwork to make sure you are in the best position to start the ball rolling. You will begin your adventure in Auckland with a fantastic 7 day orientation package. New Zealand is renowned for its attractive beaches, remarkable volcanic history and vibrant indigenous culture. Enjoy this beautiful country and take advantage of work prospects which will enable you to live and work like a Kiwi and fully appreciate everything that these incredible islands have to offer.
What will I be doing?
When you arrive at the airport in Auckland you will transferred to the YHA hostel. It is situated in the heart of the city and very close to urban amenities such as shops, restaurants cafes and pubs. After you arrive, the rest of the day is designed for you to relax, refuel and get over jet lag before the programme gets into full swing!
On Monday, you and other participants are invited to a day of presentations relating to work and travel. You will also be assisted in creating an application for a tax file number and introduced to an exclusive job finding database. Enjoy a full and friendly welcome and an evening pizza night designed for you to get to know other like-minded travellers.
Tuesday involves an exciting city tour to see highlights such as the Auckland Harbour Bridge, The Domain and a trip to the Mt Eden volcano. You will meet the bank and finalise your account application. In the evening join the team for a BBQ and then prepare yourself for an awesome Auckland city pub crawl!
On Wednesday you will journey up north and visit the breath-taking Bay of Islands known for its spectacular beauty and as a unique subtropical micro-region. In the afternoon, get your walking boots on and get ready to embark upon a magnificent hike to the Harura Falls. Tonight it’s burgers back at your accommodation in the lovely town of Paihia, and a chance to rest your weary feet.
Thursday is a day to witness New Zealand’s amazing cultural history. You will be taken to the historical site of Waitangi to learn about indigenous culture and customs from your Maori guide. As a manuhiri (guest), you will be given a taste of the infamous haka dance and become part of the unforgettable cultural show hosted by traditional Marae. You will take a ferry to Russel which was the first capital of New Zealand and in the evening unwind back in Paihia enjoying movies, board games and the hot tub with your new friends.
Friday allows you to experience a comprehensive tour of the Cape Reinga region in the most northern tip of the North Island. This famous cape is where the Pacific Ocean meets the Tasman Sea in a swirl of spectacular currents. You’ll be given the opportunity to test out sand boarding and dune surfing on the famous 90 mile beach and in the evening dance the night away in one of the best pubs in Paihia.
On Saturday you will have the morning in Paihia to get your last touristy bits and bobs done, and then you will transfer to Auckland in the late afternoon.
(please note that the schedule may vary and is dependent on certain conditions such as the weather)
Getting paid work
Following this fantastic induction week, you will be introduced to jobs under the main sectors of hospitality and retail, agriculture and factory/warehouse work. Expect to earn at least the NZ minimum wage of $14.50 (NZD) per hour.
Our Kiwi partners will assist you with finding accommodation following the orientation week, and will be on-hand to offer support in brushing up your CV and interview techniques. As a member you will have 12 month access to a database of exclusive jobs.
Accommodation and Food
You will stay in comfortable dorm style accommodation in Auckland city YHA. This hostel has a fully equipped kitchen, BBQ area, sun deck and TV lounge room. There is luggage storage, internet access and laundry facilities included. When heading up north you will transit to accommodation in Paihia. The Paihia Bay Adventure hostel offers excellent facilities including a swimming pool, outdoor spa pool, tennis courts and free WiFi. In total 6 nights are included and there are 6 continental breakfasts and 3 dinners consisting of Pizzas, BBQs and Burgers!
- 12 month job finding assistance with access to an exclusive job database.
- Assistance in setting up paperwork such as bank accounts, tax file numbers and mobile sim cards, as well as orientation presentations on jobs and travel.
- Earn a good wage to fund further travels!
- Auckland city sightseeing tour including the Auckland Harbour Bridge, The Domain and Mt Eden Volcano crater.
- Immerse yourself in the Maori cultural experience and enjoy your own performance of the traditional haka dance.
- Try your hand at dune surfing and sand boarding on the famous 90 mile beach.
- Hike to the legendary Harura falls and visit Russel the first capital city of New Zealand.
- Meet like-minded friends and enjoy all that New Zealand has to offer.
Whyshould I do this?
New Zealand is one of the most unspoilt countries on earth with one third of the land mass designated as national park. Tourism is its number one industry and there is so much to do from bungee jumping to hiking in the mountains or simply enjoying life in lively Auckland.
This programme offers the opportunity not only to travel, but to live and work as a Kiwi. This is a chance to experience the real New Zealand by earning money and then enjoying it! It is a great way to enhance your CV with interesting work experience for when you return home. An excellent chance to either take a career break from ‘real life’ or help develop your independence before ‘real life’ begins!
New Zealand is a splendid place to start for those who haven’t done much travelling as it is a safe, English-speaking country. Our support team will always be on hand to help you if you get stuck so you will never feel alone. Job presentations cover topics such as facts and figures relating to the job market, how to build an effective CV, tips on finding great jobs and how to conduct yourself during an interview.
Make life long friends from around the world and create memories that will stay with you forever.
You will fly into Auckland’s international airport and will transfer via a pre-paid shuttle bus which departs every 20 minutes. You will transfer to Auckland city YHA where you will meet other travellers before you begin orientation the following day.
Our Auckland manager is Simone. Simone and the team will be on-hand to help and support you through the entire 12 month duration or however long you may need it.
What is provided
- Phone interview and briefing from the UK
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- 24/7 support from the Oyster office in the UK
- Advice on obtaining a visa
- Pre-paid transfers from the Airport to the YHA Auckland via shuttle bus
- 6 Nights accommodation in dorm style shared rooms
- 6 Continental breakfasts
- 3 Dinners
- A fully-guided week of tourist activities
- All transfers included during the week
- Auckland sightseeing tour
- Maori cultural experience and haka dance entertainment
- Dune surfing and sand boarding on the famous 90 mile beach
- Trip to Russel, the very first capital of New Zealand
- Guided walk to Harura Falls
- 24 hour in-country emergency hotline
- A detailed welcome orientation
- Comprehensive job and travel presentations
- Industry specific employment seminars
- 12 month job assistance and unlimited access to consultations and an exclusive job database
- Access to the use of offices with our partners in Australia – free WiFi if travelling and job finding services for those who also apply for an Australian working holiday during the 12 month membership
- In-country support from our Kiwi partners
- Unlimited WiFi access at job finding offices during weekdays
- Opening a bank account
- Tax file number registration
- A New Zealand SIM card for mobile phones
- 12 month international hostel membership with the YHA
- Internet access at the YHA
- Mail holding and forwarding
- Luggage storage for up to 4weeks
- Access to discounted travel products
What do I need
- A passport valid for the duration your stay (expiry date to be at least 6 months after your arrival into New Zealand)
- You must be eligible for Working Holiday visa (age range between 18-30 and of eligible nationality. See here for visa eligibility criteria
- Good travel insurance
- An electronic copy of your resume and any certificates or work references you may have
- Return flight to Auckland or funds to buy a return ticket on entry in addition to living costs
- Money for food and additional activities
- Money to pay for accommodation following the induction course
- Work clothes/ suitable interview clothing (you can buy lots of appropriate work clothes in Auckland once you know what job you will be participating in)