Claiming Canadian tax back logo
If you worked in Canada during 2014 you should have now received your T4 tax letter from your employer. You are probably wondering what to do with this letter… well, actually, it is quite important, particularly if you want to claim back some of the tax you paid on your Canadian earnings in 2014. If you haven’t yet received your T4 I would suggest that you contact your Canadian employer to make sure they have your current postal address.

The tax free threshold in 2014 was $11,138 meaning, if you earnt below this amount in 2014, you should be due back the majority of the tax that you paid. The exact amount you could receive depends on a number of factors but the average refund for someone who spent the whole year working in Canada is around $900.

I’m no expert on the rules of claiming tax back in Canada (I wish I knew more about UK tax to be honest…!) but thankfully our friends at are. They offer a free estimate of what you could claim back and will do all of the hard work for you. All you need to do is complete a simple form and email it to [email protected] along with a scan of your passport and T4. will take their fee out of what you are due to get back but this is all made clear to you when they give you a quote. As an added incentive, if you mention Oyster Worldwide as the referral on the form, you will get a $20 discount from

Good luck! If you have any questions about tax in Canada, please email [email protected]. If you are currently in Canada, you might want to get in touch with one of the local offices.

Share ThisShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply