Work in Sydney and Explore Australia
Sydney: a world-renowned city known for its beauty, its beaches and its fast pace of life. Join a group of like-minded backpackers and get set up for life in Sydney. With a full orientation, access to 12 months of job finding assistance as well as advice on accommodation and travel options you will to start your time in Oz with a bang.
This 1 week programme costs £895 (excl flights) and the support is ongoing for up to one year.
15th January 2017
29th January 2017
26th February 2017
19th March 2017
30th April 2017
16th July 2017
6th August 2017
20th August 2017
3rd September 2017
17th September 2017
8th October 2017
22nd October 2017
5th November 2017
- Hit the ground running in Sydney with a week of orientation, job hunting, exploring and trips.
- Visit the iconic Bondi Beach, and make a trip to the stunning Blue Mountains.
- Have an instant social life on arrival by joining a group of like-minded young travellers.
- Receive help making your CV more “Aussie” and assistance with interview preparations.
- Receive 12 months of access to an online database and job-finding support in all of the country’s major cities.
- Earn good wages which you can save to fund further travel after working.
Hit the ground running Down Under
If you want to experience working abroad but don’t want to make the first step on your own then this programme is perfect for you. Join an instant group of friends and explore this incredible city whilst getting set up with work and finding accommodation. You will get help sorting out all the tricky bits like your tax file number, your Medicare cover and a bank account. We even include an Australian SIM card so you can immediately start keeping in touch with your new friends (and home too if you have time!).
It’s not all hard work. You’ll be staying in a hostel in the backpacking quarter in Sydney, and while looking for jobs you’ll enjoy many exciting activities. These include a tour of the city, a scenic beach walk, a trip to iconic Bondi beach, a three day trip to the Blue Mountains and much much more.
What will I be doing?
Your first week will be a fun filled start to your time in Australia with a mixture of presentations, social activities and of course seeing the sites you will hit the ground running. At the end of this week most people like to start looking for a job. The majority stay in Sydney but you will be supported across Australia if you want to make somewhere else your base.
The work available to you in Sydney (and across Australia) is plentiful, with the majority of the jobs in entry level office positions, hospitality, retail, bars, restaurants, cafés and construction. The pay is pretty good, with wages around $19 per hour minimum. What better things to see on your commute than the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Opera House.
Working in a city abroad definitely helps your CV and gives you excellent preparation for going away to university or starting a future job. And where better to work than Australia? You will be working with Australians and most likely other backpackers too, so you’ll instantly be making friends in the workplace and developing an exciting social life.
The terms of your visa allow you to work for each employer for a maximum of 6 months. After that initial 6 months we can help you to find another job if you would like. As part of the programme you will have 12 months of access to an online job database and job finding support which should make finding subsequent jobs easier. If you would like to travel and look for work outside Sydney you can receive support from our offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, New Zealand and Cairns.
What about after Sydney?
You can stay in Australia for up to one year on your working holiday visa. Most people who go to Oz on this visa will spend some time travelling the country, which is why being able to access support from all of our offices across Australia is so great. Once you have earned some money, is the perfect time to dust the backpack off and see what the rest of the country has to offer.
You will be given lots of advice on the different travel options available to you. With a travel desk in the Sydney office who are experienced in booking bespoke trips all over Australia you should have no difficulty planning an incredible tour of Australia and further afield.
Accommodation and Food
You’ll spend your nights in Sydney at the YHA Railway Central hostel in the backpacker area of Sydney. It adjoins Central Station so you can easily explore all that Sydney has to offer. The hostel is modern and has fantastic facilities, including a barbecue area, well equipped kitchen, clean and secure bedrooms and 24hr WiFi. Expect to share a room. During your orientation presentations you will be given plenty of advice on where to find accommodation after your initial week is over. Shared apartments in Sydney are around A$130 -180 per week.
You will fly into Sydney international airport and will get a shuttle bus to the hostel where you will meet the rest of your group.
What is provided
- One-to-one informal phone interview and briefing in the UK
- Advice on obtaining a visa
- Advice on finding a competitive and suitable return flight to Sydney
- Transfer from the airport to your hostel in Sydney
- Comprehensive support and advice whilst in-country
- Induction on arrival in Sydney
- Assistance in sorting out your medicare, tax file number and bank account
- Tax refund advice
- An Australian Sim Card
- 6 nights accommodation
- 6 breakfasts, 3 dinners and 2 lunches
- 12 months of help and support with your CV / resume and interview technique
- 12 month access to an exclusive online database of jobs
- 12 months YHA membership
- Tour of Sydney
- Trip to Bondi beach (including the famous coastal walk to Coogee)
- Trip to the Blue Mountains
- Free internet connection in Sydney (as well as our other offices)
- Mail holding and forwarding
- Free luggage storage
On your return:
- References (on request)
What do I need
- A passport valid for 6 months beyond the end of your return date
- You must be eligible for a Working Holiday visa (aged between 18-30 and a permitted nationality for the visa. See here for visa eligibility criteria)
- Insurance – we can recommend you a policy
- An electronic copy of your CV
- National Insurance Card or NHS card
- Return flight to Sydney
- Cost of travel around the city
- Money for food throughout the trip
- Money for accommodation after your first 7 days
- Spending money
- Work clothes
Whyshould I do this?
Australia is one of the most popular destinations in the world for gap year travel. Some of the greatest attractions to working there include the English language, the laid back atmosphere, the weather and the variety of work. Many gappers will factor in some time Down Under to earn some more money to further their travels.
This programme gives you the opportunity to embrace life in Oz, safe in the knowledge that you have support, a group of young like-minded people to be with and help with getting work. This means that whilst you are on the other side of the world, you are never far from a helping hand.
On the ground in Australia Edvige and the team will be there to support you. Many of the team have lived overseas so they know challenges that you will be facing first hand and so are ideal people to help you settle in. Both they, and us in the UK are available 24/7 in case of emergency.
“I visited this project in 2016 and it was great to see what opportunities are available in Sydney and across Australia. The staff in Sydney are fantastic and provide such excellent support, you would really quickly settle in to life down under on this programme” says Harriet, Travel Adviser