Everest Base Camp Trek
Trek to Everest Base Camp for outstanding views of the world’s tallest mountain. Everest is the undisputed star of this trek, but there are plenty of other memorable sights on the way. You will cross majestic rivers, visit Sherpa villages and Buddhist monasteries and have time to relax and take in the peaceful beauty of the Himalayas.
Our Everest trek is the most challenging one we offer. You will have 14 days of actual trekking, reaching altitudes of 5,550m. It’s graded as ‘moderate to strenuous’, which means that you will need a good level of physical fitness.
After exploring the vibrant streets of Kathmandu, you will fly to Lukla to begin a 14 day trek up to Kalapahar and the Everest Base Camp. Travelling through lush forest, you will head up the Dudh Kosi river valley and the Khumbu valley, eventually arriving at the Khumbu glacier. Once you reach Everest Base Camp, you will be given the option to climb higher to Pumori ridge for the best views of the valley. After a day and two nights at the Base Camp, you will start your descent back through the valleys towards Lukla. The scenery during an Everest Base Camp trek is truly unforgettable – not just because you will see the legendary Himalayas, but also because you will see unspoilt villages and beautiful forests along the way. If you are looking to immerse yourself in the great outdoors – it doesn’t get better than Everest trekking.
Check out our full itinerary for a breakdown of the route and more details.
Accommodation and Food
We select comfortable accommodation and good quality lodges en-route during the trek.
In our experience, trekkers enjoy the flexibility of being able to choose their meals. Therefore, we exclude most meals from the cost of the trek so that you can eat according to your budget and preferred taste. A budget of £13 per day should be ample.
- Wander the bustling streets of Kathmandu, with its many beautiful religious and cultural monuments.
- Feel on top of the world as you trek through the spectacular Himalayan scenery.
- Visit unspoilt Sherpa villages and colourful hillside monasteries.
- Enjoy stunning mountain views on the flight from Kathmandu to Lukla.
Whyshould I do this?
As with all of Oyster’s trips, you can be confident of safe, well-organised travel and a great personal service from Jon, the Destination Manager for Nepal. He will be happy to chat through your needs and find the right Nepal trek for you. Our prices are extremely competitive, due to the fact that we have direct and longstanding links with our trekking partners and are able to keep prices down without compromising on quality. We really don’t think you can find better Nepal treks for the price.
We can arrange flights for you on any of our treks. We are an ATOL bonded company so you will get financial protection if we book your flights.
Our tours all begin on the first Friday of each trekking month so you will need to arrive in Kathmandu on that day. You will be met at Kathmandu airport by our representative, Basant, and transferred to the hotel where you will spend your first couple of nights.
Basant has been our representative since 2001 and has over a decade of experience in dealing with our trekkers. He is based in Kathmandu and runs all of the orientation sessions before handing you over to one of the experienced guides who will be leading your trek.
What is provided
- Excellent support throughout the preparation for your trip and whilst you are away
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Airport transfers and all necessary transport during your trip (including return flight from Kathmandu to Lukla)
- 4 nights accommodation with breakfast in Kathmandu on twin-sharing basis
- 1 half-day guided sightseeing of the world heritage sites in Kathmandu, including transport and entrance fees
- Accommodation in good quality lodges en-route during trek
- Trek with well-respected local firm with experienced guides and full insurance
- Porters during the trek (weight max. 15 kg per client)
- National park fee
- Oyster Trekking kit bag for each group member
What do I need
- International flights to/from Kathmandu
- All home country travel costs
- Travel insurance (this must be appropriate for a trekking holiday)
- All meals during trek
- Lunches and dinners in Kathmandu
- Personal expenses (laundry, bar bills etc)
- Nepal Visa fee (approx US$40 for up to 30 days)
- Gratuities for staff