China Internship Programme
Are you excited by the potential of China and want to learn how to do business with the world’s fastest growing economy? Get fantastic work experience and learn Mandarin as an intern in Beijing or Shanghai.
An internship gives you the chance to work alongside Chinese professionals in a busy team. You will be doing a proper job, as well as gaining valuable insights into Chinese working culture. Whether you join a large multinational or a thriving local company, you’ll see how Chinese people do business, socialise and run their organisations.
Work placements can be arranged in a wide range of sectors, including business, accountancy, advertising, science, IT, healthcare and more. The type of job offered will depend on your qualifications and experience, but will always aim to make good use of your skills and develop them further.
Your English-speaking supervisor will get you settled in, manage your workload and provide training and support. You can expect regular feedback, as well as a final report and certificate at the end of your programme.
Office hours are usually 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. Like most local workers, you will commute to work from the residential districts each day, but the transport service is cheap and reliable.
You won’t be expected to speak Mandarin while at work, but it’s important to master some basic phrases so that you can make yourself understood in the city. Mandarin lessons are included in the package and all arranged for you. We recommend 4 weeks intensive tuition on arrival, as it allows you to acclimatise before starting work. Alternatively, if you already speak some Mandarin, you can start work straight away and take some language lessons each week.
Accommodation and Food
You will share an apartment with other participants, so that you can socialise and commute in together. Kitchen facilities might be limited, but there will be cheap places to eat nearby.
- Have a proper job working alongside Chinese professionals – a fantastic experience and great for your CV!
- Live like a local, and gain an insight into how the Chinese think, work and socialise.
- Choose from a wide variety of sectors, based on your qualifications and experience.
- Receive training, support and regular feedback from your English-speaking supervisor.
- Improve your Mandarin (or learn from scratch) with our included lessons.
- Explore a vibrant city with some amazing tourist sites in your free time.
Whyshould I do this?
Make your CV stand out from the crowd with a high quality internship in a major Chinese city. You’ll develop your professional skills and get first hand experience of working life in the world’s most dynamic economy. It’s a great way to demonstrate your drive, ambition and international credentials to any future employer. Choose the sector you want to work in, your preferred city and length of stay and we’ll arrange everything for you. You’ll get thorough preparation, Mandarin lessons, accommodation, excellent in-country support and regular meet-ups with other interns.
You will need to arrive at Beijing or Shanghai airport, where you will be met by the local team. Oyster can book flights for you, or you are welcome to book your own.
What is provided
- A good quality internship in your chosen field
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Advice on getting an F visa
- Detailed briefing on life in China and what to expect at work
- Pick up at Beijing/Shanghai airport
- Orientation session and welcome dinner on arrival
- Mandarin tuition – 3 hours of group classes per week. Option to do 4 week full time Mandarin at extra cost
- Accommodation (own room in shared apartment)
- Social events and tourist outings with other interns
- Business and networking events
- Regular newsletter with information about local events and organised trips
- Certificate and reference letter from the company on completion
- Local sim card, a mobile phone and a transport card
- Excellent support 24/7 from experienced local staff
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- Programme cost £2722 – this includes accommodation in a shared apartment and concurrent Mandarin lessons
- Return flights to your chosen destination (usually Beijing/Shanghai)
- Cost of changing your return flight date if you need to (approx £100)
- Visa application fee (approx £70, depending on your travel plans)
- A passport, valid for at least 6 months after the date you return home
- Travel, medical and personal liability insurance – we can introduce you to a policy
- Vaccinations as advised
- Two referees
- Funds for living costs, transport, food and leisure while you are there
- Funds for any independent travel