Surf Camp & Development Course in Australia
Become part of a small surfing community and experience the joys of living at a surf camp on Australia’s East Coast just south of Sydney. Whether you start as a complete beginner, or a pro surf instructor aiming to improve your skills, this fully immersive surfing programme will have you on your feet and riding the waves in no time. With coaching from expert surf instructors, lessons on the science of surfing, and surfing fitness sessions too, your skills will develop rapidly as you take your practice to the next level at our surf camp and development course in Australia!
Live a surfer’s life
With its beach culture and some of the top surfing spots in the world, it’s not surprising that the thought of surfing and Australia often go hand in hand. Whether you’re already a proficient surfer, or you’re looking to try out this thrilling sport for the first time, there really is no better place to develop and improve your skills, whilst enjoying the fun that comes with living within a friendly Australian surf camp community.
Choose from a 2, 4, 8 or 12 week surfing camp programme at one of the best surf schools in the country, each of which has been carefully designed with the aim of improving an individual’s surfing. Upon arriving at the surf camp, novices will embark upon an intensive 14 day schedule, designed to develop your technique from absolute beginner to intermediate, and give you the foundations to go beyond. If you chose to take part for longer than 2 weeks, you will continue to practice and hone your skills, fully immersing yourself in the rhythm of a surfing lifestyle and making great friends along the way with other like-minded people attending this fabulous surfers camp.
Over the course of the surf programme, you can expect to be challenged daily by your coaches, the different waves and the changing conditions. By surfing everyday with a qualified surf instructor, you will learn what your strengths and weaknesses are and be able to focus on these. You will work on improving your technique with skateboarding drills, video correction, and through riding a variety of boards and waves. Out of the water, you will gain surfing fitness through fitness sessions, and will learn about the science of surfing and how to read the ocean and weather conditions. The intricacies of surfboard design and shaping will also be revealed to you through a visit to a working surfboard factory close to the surf camp location.
On top of all this, the College puts on weekly afternoon tourist activities for you to get involved in if you choose. These might include scenic bush walks, visiting national parks, swimming under huge waterfalls or climbing mountains. At the weekends, you will be free to do as you please. Set out with your new-found friends, and take the chance to explore the beautiful Australian coastline, lively cities and tranquil countryside, or simply make the most of your unspoilt beach-front location and surf out the front of the surf camp beach.
What will I be doing?
Our 2 week Surf Camp programme allows you to receive 18 practical surf lessons and 2 surf style skateboard training sessions. You will be able to use high quality equipment including surfboards and wetsuits as part of the experience. The team provide transport from Thirroul train station, a healthy breakfast each day, a professional photographer on hand to capture your best bits, trips to beautiful coastal locations and first-class accommodation.
On our 4 week course, you will receive 20 days of progressive surf lessons (including 28 water-based sessions, 4 class-room theory sessions and 6 on-land fitness sessions). You will have access to first class boards and wetsuits provided by the surf camp at any time during your stay, and undertake weekly video correction sessions aimed at increasing your skill development. You will also visit a working surf board factory, and enjoy guided tourist activities in and around the beautiful surf camp location on the south coast of New South Wales.
On our 8-week course, you will cover the full set of skills required in the developmental phases of surfing for beginner and intermediate surfers, as well as oceanography, meteorology and surf science. By the end of your stay at surf camp, you will be able to fully understand the ocean and be independently surfing confidently. You will receive 40 days of progressive surf lessons (including 48 water-based sessions, 12 class-room theory lessons and 18 on-land fitness sessions), as well as the weekly video correction sessions and other extras described for the 4-week surf camp course.
Our 12-week course is designed not only to develop your surf confidence, build your fitness levels and improve your surfing skills, but should also give you a level of surfing ability and knowledge that would allow you to continue into a career in the surf instructor industry if you choose. On this course, you will receive 60 days of progressive surf lessons (including 68 water-based sessions, 20 class-room theory sessions and 30 on-land fitness sessions), as well as the weekly video correction sessions and other extras described for the 4-week surf camp course.
Accommodation and food
Accommodation is included in the programme cost and will be at the Surf College’s own Beach Motel. The rooms are newly renovated triple share, fitted with en-suites, kitchenettes, lockable draws and top quality king single beds. You can request to have a private room at an extra cost if you choose. The rooms are serviced weekly, but it is your responsibility to keep them tidy. Free WiFi is available throughout the Beach Motel, and there is also a recreational room perfect for socialising offering an eating area, big screen T.V. with Netflix and a pool table.
A daily continental breakfast is provided for surfing camp attendees, but you are expected to make your own lunch and dinner using the facilities in the Beach Motel. Every Friday night, the surf camp staff put on a free BBQ meal for you to eat if you choose. The surf camp is only a few minutes walk from bars, cafes and supermarkets, so you will have plenty of choice when it comes to deciding what to eat and how to spend your evenings.
- Become part of a small surfing camp community and experience life as an Australian surfer.
- Participate in the most complete, in depth and highly structured surf development programme on the market with one of the best surf camp schools in the country.
- Everyone benefits from the initial 14-day intensive schedule to give you the firm foundations necessary to take your surfing to the next level.
- Have weekends off to explore the Australian coastline, cities and countryside, or simply practice your surfing on the unspoilt surf camp beach.
- Enjoy the freedom of living right on the beach with amazing waves at your fingertips.
- Meet like-minded people, make amazing friends, and have the time of your life.
Whyshould I do this?
Nothing beats the thrill of successfully riding your first wave – except when you ride your second better, and then your third, and your fourth… The ability to surf, once the basics are mastered, will never leave you, giving you the freedom to enjoy the waves, wherever you are, again and again and again.
Come armed with perseverance and a smile, and throw yourself into one of our Surf Development programmes to understand for yourself what it is that surfers are raving about. Entrust yourself to the care of our expert surf instructors, and come away with a skill for life, and a potential starting point for a career in this industry.
Take the opportunity to hit the waves in one of the most surfer-friendly countries in the world, and get a true taste of the Australian surfing culture – just don’t be surprised if you find it very hard to leave!
The Surf Development programmes run weekly at surf camp, the preferred arrival day is a Saturday. Fly to Sydney Airport (SYD) and catch the Airport Link train to the Central Station (13 minutes). From here catch a train to Thirroul (1 hour 30 minutes away), a small surf town in the northern suburbs of Wollongong, where you will be met by a programme representative and taken to the Surf Camp!
Once you are in Australia you will be really well supported by our fantastic partners. The whole team are fanatical surfers and surf instructors and will be delighted to share their enthusiasm and experience with you.
Originally from New Zealand, Ash has made the Australian coast her home and she will be there to help and support you throughout your stay.
What is provided
- Before booking: a conversation either on the phone or in person to discuss the programme and answer any questions that you might have.
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Advice on finding a competitive and suitable return flight to Sydney if you wish.
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst in Australia.
- Transfer from Thirroul train station to the Surf College.
- 14,28, 56 or 84 nights accommodation.
- Full continental breakfasts (special diets can be catered for on request).
- 14 Day Surf Camp to begin the journey.
- 5 surf lessons every week.
- 3 surf specific fitness sessions every week.
- 2 surf theory sessions every week.
- Full use of high quality surf boards and wet suits in and out of lesson times- provided by the surfers camp.
- Discounts at the surf camp’s Beach Motel bar and café.
- Discounts on wet suits and surfboards for those who wish to purchase one.
- Oyster Worldwide volunteer t-shirt.
- Oyster Worldwide luggage tag.
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- A passport valid for 6 months beyond the end of your return date.
- An Australian tourist visa (for visits of up to 3 months).
- Insurance – we can introduce you to a policy.
- A return flight to Sydney.
- Your travel costs from Sydney airport to Thirroul train station.
- Money for lunch and dinner whilst on the programme.
- Spending money.
- Your own swimming costume and towel.