Volunteer Sports Coach in Brazil
Located in São Paulo, this fantastic project is perfect for people who are passionate about sport. Volunteer at a youth centre dedicated to helping local children stay off the streets. It is no secret that Brazilians love sport and that is why there is no better destination to travel to to share your own skills!
Sport coaching in Brazil
Sport is incredibly important to children in Brazil. With so many sporting legends, it is not hard to see why. School hours in Brazil are very short and this means that although the country is famous for its sporting achievements, many children miss out on the chance to play sport. You could really make a difference by providing them with skills to boost their self-esteem and offer them a chance to be part of a positive group.
We have been sending volunteers to the youth centre in São Paulo, Brazil since 2005. The centre provides a safe hub for many children and young adults in São Paulo’s densely populated urban area. It gives children, who often have very difficult lives and very little to do, the chance to learn new skills, make new friends and to be part of a fantastic community.
What can you do?
As a sports coaching volunteer football, rugby or athletics coach, you will be living at the youth centre and travelling to different courts in the area. All of the sites are within a 10 minute walk from the youth centre and sport coaches travel as a group.
Learning Portuguese will help you to interact with the children that you teach and to converse with the locals in the area. On this programme, you can opt to take one to one Portuguese lessons at the centre for an additional £200.
Exploring the local area
There are plenty of like-minded volunteers at the centre so you will have plenty of people to meet. There are lots of great restaurants, bars, museums and parks to explore at the weekend. Rio de Janiero is just a 50 minute flight away.
Accommodation and Food
Volunteers stay at the shared volunteer accommodation which is comfortable and on site.
There are 4 rooms and 1 dormitory. You may have to share a room with another volunteer. The accommodation has 2 bathrooms and a kitchen and living area.
You will receive a freshly cooked lunch at the centre while you are coaching. For breakfast and dinner, you will receive an allowance to buy delicious local food to cook in the volunteer kitchen.
- Become an inspirational role model for local youth as you pass on your passion for sport.
- Help disadvantaged children learn new skills, make new friends and become part of a fantastic community.
- Make great friendships with other volunteers, staff and the kids that you work with.
- Immerse yourself in vibrant Brazilian life as you live the life of a local.
- Enjoy the country’s spectacular sandy beaches.
- Choose to take additional one-to-one Portuguese lessons (£200).
Whyshould I do this?
For a sports-lover, Brazil is paradise! Not only will you get to live in a country that is home to one of the best football teams in the world – you will also be surrounded by passionate sports fans and children longing for the opportunity to learn.
The centre wants volunteers who use their initiative and who are willing to work well within a dedicated team. Experience of being a sports coach. or working with children is preferable, but no qualifications are required. Volunteers should be knowledgeable in the sport that they intend to teach.
You will fly to São Paulo – Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) to be met and welcomed by staff from the centre, who will show you your accommodation and introduce you to the team.
Jonathan, Oyster’s representative in Sao Paulo, is British but has lived in Brazil for all his adult life. His role is to be a helpful friend to you and steer you through difficulties of any kind. You will meet his Brazilian sons and many volunteers have been accommodated at his house close to the centre. Jonathan will be able to give you advice on all aspects of living and travelling in Brazil and will keep Oyster in the UK updated on your health and welfare throughout your time in Brazil. As the Founder of the centre, he is actively involved in all that happens.
What is provided
- Phone or face-to-face interview and initial briefing
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking.
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure and whilst away
- Airport pickup
- Lunch and a food allowance for breakfast and dinner
- Optional Portuguese lessons, normally one to one or with others arriving at the same time (costing £200 for your entire trip)
- Support from the Oyster representative, Jonathan, and the centre’s Volunteer co ordinator.
- Oyster holds an ATOL licence and can book your return ticket to Brazil with flexible return date (airline fee levied for date changes).
- Oyster T shirt before departure
- Oyster luggage tag
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months from your date of entry in Brazil
- Travel insurance
- Money for going out, extra travel and a SIM card
- Any home country travel costs (to the airport)
- Return to the airport