Whistler 11-week Ski or Snowboard Instructor Course
Spend 11 weeks living in Whistler and gain your CSIA/CASI Level 1 and 2! This is our most inclusive programme ever – including everything a keen skier or snowboarder needs to become a snow guru! Not only can you learn to become a ski or snowboard instructor, you can also train for the AST (Avalanche Skills Training) Level 1 and 2 in the stunning Whistler Blackcomb backcountry.
This is the most inclusive Whistler instructor programme available, with no hidden fees.
For 11 weeks you will be working with professional instructors who will provide detailed teaching and allow you to shadow and learn from them each day. You will cover a various aspect of skiing or boarding; from bumps and slalom to off-piste and steeps on each day of the course.
In addition to the CSIA or CASI Level 1 and 2 training and examination fees, this course is packed full of additional extras that will help make you a more professional instructor, including:
- CSIA Teaching Children Module (skiers only),
- Recreational Avalanche Course – AST 1 and 2
- Canadian Association for Disabled Skiing Level 1 (skiers only)
- Snow Park Training
- Customer service
- Injury prevention
- Equipment tuning
- Boot fitting
The BASI Level 2 is available for skiers enrolled on the February 2019 course. NB This part of the course takes place at the same time as the AST 2 and CADS training so you will not take part in those elements. You will also need to arrive in Whistler with a valid First Aid certificate to be eligible for the BASI course.
For more information on each of these qualifications, read our more information page.
This in-depth instructor training course will lead you to become an advanced snowsports instructor, ready to work at almost any ski resort in the world. You’ll meet like-minded friends, enjoy a great social life and live in one of the most beautiful places in the world – life doesn’t get much better!
The skiing has been excellent and the local staff here have been great in helping me set up and settle into the programme – Cameron
What experience do I need?
You must feel comfortable skiing or snowboarding down red runs in Europe or blues in North America. Your skills and technique will dramatically improve over the course of 11 weeks!
Accommodation and Food
Your accommodation is located in the village centre (either Creekside or Whistler) and you will live with your other course members. Expect to share a room of up to 4 people. The accommodation has a great living and dining area, storage rooms and a sun deck. You have a choice of catered or self-catered accommodation. There are also a finite number of single rooms available. Choosing the catered options gives you 6 continental breakfasts and 6 tasty dinners a week. This is beneficial after a long day skiing on the slopes and means you get a guaranteed hot meal. Self-catered accommodation gives you access to a fully equipped kitchen so you can cook your own food whenever you want.
- All inclusive programme with no hidden fees or exam costs when you get to Whistler.
- Receive training from fully qualified Level 4 instructors in a phenomenal resort.
- Gain fantastic qualifications that will leave you ready to work at almost any ski resort in the world.
- No need to apply for a Canadian Working Holiday permit.
- Enjoy a great social life with others who share your passion for snow sports.
- Experience living in Whistler, consistently voted as one of the world’s best ski resorts.
- On our February ski course, gain BASI as well as CSIA qualifications.
Most people fly into Vancouver Airport and book a coach transfer up to Whistler via the scenic Sea to Sky Highway. It is advisable to arrive in Canada on the Friday before the course begins on the Saturday, to get over jet-lag, buy any needed equipment and pick up your ski pass.
For this course, Oyster will guarantee to beat the web fare on the BA or Air Canada websites if you choose to book your London Heathrow to Vancouver return flights with us. We will also waive our booking fee which will give you a further £30 saving, and include ATOL protection for the duration of your trip.
What is provided
- Initial chat to assess your suitability
- Access to your personal ‘My Oyster’ account – our online portal where you can find out much more about the programme and manage your booking
- Help and advice from our UK office before departure
- Your money is protected with Oyster. We have ATOL Protection (as long as we book your flights) and a bond with IPP (if we don’t book your flights)
- CSIA/CASI Level 1 and 2
- CSIA Teaching Children Module (skiers only)
- Recreational Avalanche Courses AST1 and AST2 (AST2 is not available on the February ski course, where the BASI2 is taken instead)
- CADS Level1 (skiers only, is not available on the February ski course, where the BASI2 is taken instead)
- BASI Level 2 (February course for skiers only)
- Snow park training
- Over 20 hours of professional training per week
- Whistler Blackcomb Season Pass
- Training given by CSIA/CASI Level 4 instructors
- Small groups to maximise your training
- Weekly feedback from your pro
- Lift line priority
- Video analysis
- Extra training (customer service, communications, injury prevention, risk assessment, boot fitting and equipment tuning)
- Resort rep available 24/7
- 6 dinners and breakfasts per week (if in catered accommodation)
- Off-snow and evening activities
- Equipment and store discounts
- Job finding assistance
On your return:
- Welcome home pack
- Certificate of Recognition (on request)
- References (on request)
What do I need
- Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before heading to Canada. This costs $7 and is valid for up to 5 years
- Transfers from Vancouver Airport to Whistler and back at the end of the season
- Valid Passport
- Travel insurance, covering winter sports (including back country) and any planned independent travel
- Independent travel costs at the end of the season
- Food costs (if you choose the self catered option)
- Valid First Aid certificate (if you are taking the BASI course). 2 day/12 hour course is minimum requirement