Marmot Basin 11-week CSIA Ski Instructor Course
Gain your CSIA Level 1 and 2 ski instructor qualifications on our 11 week instructor course. Your skiing will improve and you’ll learn the new skills necessary to find work as an instructor next season, or just have the most amazing gap year skiing in the Canadian Rockies!
We have worked closely with Marmot Basin and our in-resort partner to make this ski instructor programme as interesting and useful as possible. The 11 week programme is designed to improve your skiing ability, as well as to get you fully trained up and qualified to instruct your favourite snow sport. You can expect to be trained by Level 4 instructors – the best in town!
Expect to complete your CSIA Level 1 after the first 4 weeks of training. The focus then turns to getting you ready for your CSIA Level 2 assessment at the end of the season. The skills and technique needed for Level 2 are, understandably, at a higher level than your Level 1 exam so hard work and dedication is required, but it is so worth it!
The Oyster programme includes the cost of both the CSIA Level 1 and Level 2 examinations. You can read more about each qualification and the assessment on our More Information page.
With the CSIA Level 2 you get to tailor the course to your own interests by choosing one of two modules to focus on, either all-terrain training or working with children. For more information about the Level 2 options and assessment, check out our CSIA Level 2 guide.
On this programme expect to become immersed in the authentic mountain town community of Jasper which sits in the middle of the spectacular Jasper National Park – a World Heritage Site.
Even though you are on a course, you will be treated like a member of staff at Marmot and therefore be eligible for discounts at the resort. You’ll be able to get 30% off food (outside peak lunch hour), 15% off at the retail store and 50% off weekday rental and repairs.
“You’ll be taught by some of the best instructors in the sport, who just happen to be really nice people! You’ll live in a beautiful part of the world and meet tons of new friends from all over the world” – Karl, January 2015
What experience do I need?
To succeed in this programme you don’t need to have been skiing all your life. Ideally you should be comfortable getting down red runs in Europe or blues in North America. If you are relatively new to the sport, don’t worry, your skills and technique will vastly improve during the 11 weeks!
Accommodation and Food
You will stay in a central hotel in the town of Jasper (20 minutes from Marmot Basin – transfers to and from the mountain 7 days per week are included). This programme includes 77 nights accommodation. You will be sharing a standard hotel room on a twin basis and have access to all of the hotel amenities – such as and hot tub and steam room, a perfect way to unwind after a day out on the mountain! WiFi is provided free of charge at the hotel.
Breakfast and dinner are provided at the hotel 7 days a week.
- Receive training from fully qualified Level 4 instructors in a hidden-gem of a resort – spend your season skiing, not queuing for lifts!
- All CSIA Level 1 and Level 2 costs included, as well as a season ski pass.
- No need for a Canadian Working Holiday visa.
- Future employment possibilities at Marmot Basin and elsewhere.
- Live and socialise with like-minded people in Canada’s highest resort – base elevation 5800 feet.
- Breakfast, dinner and hotel accommodation included 7 days a week.
Whyshould I do this?
Whether you are new to skiing or have been perfecting the skill since before you could walk, our instructor training course is for you.
You will get expert tuition from the best ski instructors at Marmot Basin who are dedicated to ensuring that your skills and technique dramatically improve. You’ll get more than 240 hours of training from the instructors and be set targets on things to improve between lessons.
On completing this programme you will leave with more than just a certificate stating you are an instructor. You will leave with new friends, experiences and memories that will remain with you forever.
Jasper is located centrally between Calgary and Edmonton Airports. Your arrival airport will be confirmed in good time before the course start date and return transfers from the airport to Jasper are included.
What is provided
- Informal interview to assess your suitability and briefing
- Full support from our representative whilst you are in Jasper
- Airport transfers to and from Jasper
- Daily transfers from your hotel to Marmot Basin, and back again
- Full season ski pass
- 240 hours + tuition from the best instructors in town
- CSIA Level 1 Instructor Qualification
- CSIA Level 2 Instructor Qualification
- 77 nights accommodation in a central Jasper hotel, twin rooms, free WiFi provided in each room
- Breakfast and dinner provided 7 days a week
What do I need
- Insurance to cover the duration of your stay (covering any planned adventurous activities)
- Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before heading to Canada. This costs $7 and is valid for up to 5 years
- Money to cover your social life in Jasper and any trips that you want to go on
- All home-country travel costs (eg to the airport)
- Up to date Passport valid for the duration of your stay in Canada, plus a day
- Take your own equipment or buy locally when you arrive