Travelling to Canada – eTA information

View of MontrealIf you are travelling to Canada on, or after, the 15th March 2016, there is a new requirement you may need to meet if arriving by air. All visitors to Canada need to apply for the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation). This includes people who don’t normally need a visa to enter Canada (for example British Citizens entering Canada as a tourist).

The eTA costs $7 (approx. £3.50) and lasts for up to 5 years. If you obtain a new passport during the validity of the eTA, you will need to apply for a new one.

For people booking Oyster programmes in Canada, read carefully…

If you have applied for an IEC Working Holiday Permit under the 2016 system (to be on a paid-work programme in Canada), your eTA is automatically issued as part of the work permit. You don’t need to apply separately. If you applied under the 2015 system and haven’t yet entered Canada (or have come home and plan to go back to Canada), you will need to apply for the eTA before leaving home.

For people on on our ski and snowboard instructor courses that don’t require a work permit, you will need to apply for an eTA.

It is best to organise your eTA as soon as possible and not leave it to the last minute! To apply, visit the eTA website. The application is really easy and only takes a couple of minutes.

Leave a Reply